1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about the Kramer Forum series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpasticTastic, Oct 15, 2017.

1. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    So, I'm trying to do some reading on the Kramer Forum series. I really can't find much about the specs and whatnot. I'm looking at the Forum III and IV series, and I'm not sure what the deal is with them.

What body woods are they made up? Do the ones that have 4 knobs feature preamps? All I see is "Spector active pickups", but I do sometimes see mentions of preamps. I know the Forum I and II have preamps, but I'm not sure about the III and IV.

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    IIRC, the Forum III & IV had the Spector Haz Lab preamp and Spector pickups.

3. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Would be cool if I could get a confirmation on that. Also, whats the body wood?

4. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Welp, just talked to someone selling a Forum III. In indeed has a Haz Lab preamp in it. Looks like a korean Haz, but still.

Also, I'm going to be the future owner of a Forum III. :p

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Maybe these will help?
    forum2. forum3.

BurnOut likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If I could ever find the hot pink Forum III I sold back in the 80s I would buy it back and rock the crap out of it strung BEAD.

BurnOut likes this.
  7. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    The one I found was black, but it was a really good price, so I couldn't pass it up. I would love to get an archtoped Forum I or a metallic blue Forum III.

Also, the one I got had the preamp, so those pictures aren't too accurate. Although mine IS neck-thru. Not sure about the body wood, though. I know the Forum I is maple.

I love Spectors, but since even NS2A, B, and C's are getting hard to find, this'll definitely do. :p

8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Kramer F3.1.JPG The problem with Forums - as with all "real" Kramers - is that there's seldom any hard and fast rules with them. Other than the fact that Forum I's and III's were neck-thrus, and II's and IV's were bolt-ons, everything else is pretty much up in the air. This is my lefty Forum III (and no, I didn't put those stupid dice knobs on it). The electrical tape's holding in the pickups 'cause the screws disintegrated when I took them out. It has the Forum I controls, but as far as everything else goes; definitely a Forum III. And, those Spector pickups are not active. There's no sign that it ever was, either; plus, the control cavity's way too small. Not much room for what is in there, in fact. I have several other Kramer basses, and they're pretty much like this one - not quite as described in the brochure... Kramer's notorious for getting a wild hair (or something) one afternoon, and just...trying stuff. Just 'cause they could, I guess. Any time someone says "Kramer XXX had YYY", you can bet somebody will come up with a picture of a Kramer XXX that isn't that way at all. Like...this one, for example. Which is one reason I like them...:whistle:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  9. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I've collected Kramer Guitars for years, have some beauties. Just missed getting a Forum for very little not long ago.
    As for the no set rules, during the end of days of Kramer they were building anything they could with the parts they had laying around. A lot of the last guitars they shipped out were never paid for by stores because Kramer disintegrated shortly after they shipped.

10. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    Love the looks of these. I'd take a forum ii please!

11. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Yeah I was pretty iffy on the pickups being active. I guess they meant the active preamp (which this one has. It's a HAZ) with passive Spector pickups. I have passive Spectors in my NS2C which will be replaced with an old P/J set, and they're... okay. Hopefully if I mingle with this bass I'll see what I'll do here. Hopefully it doesn't need any mods with the electronics.

12. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I found a Forum II in good condition. This one has the tooth inlays on the fretboard and is red/pink. Any idea of what its worth? Forum 1's are around $700 and the III and IVs out there are in the $325 range....... Any help would be appreciated