1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about the Mesa/Boogie Scout combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wdinc01, Mar 10, 2008.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm thinking about maybe picking up a Scout combo, and I was wondering if it'd be possible to hook up the head with the combo speaker, along with my 410 cab without something breaking. The cab is a Mesa/Boogie as well (not that that really matters, I think) and 8 ohms.

A yes or no and maybe an explanation or another recommendation would be much appreciated.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It depends if your combo is a 4 or 8 ohm version. If it's an 8, you can run another 8 ohm cab with no problems. If it's a 4, it can still run another cab, but I wouldn't recommend doing it for very long as you can damage your amp with a ohm load it wasn't designed for. The guys at Boogie officially say that you shouldn't run a Walkabout at less than 4 ohms, but unofficially there's been talk that it will handle a 2 ohm load without any real difficulty.

3. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    or if its a 4 ohm bass cabinet, you could remove the head from the scout cabinet and you would be OK

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Lots of guys report running their Walkabouts below 4 ohms with no problems all night long. I've done it with mine hooking up various 8 ohm extension cabs and never had a problem with the amp overheating. But I never ran it full bore.

Actually the head alone with a good 8 ohm cabinet can get pretty loud by itself. You get about 160 watts and it seems like a lot more.

To be safe though, if you're buying new, order your Scout in 8 ohms.

5. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    you should be fine in all instances.

If the Walkabout you get is 4 ohms and the external Mesa cab is 8 ohms (as you stated), you will be running the combined load at 2.67ohms. Less than user manual recommends, but No problem at all.

If the Walkabout is 8 and the ext is 8, then total load is 4. Again, no problem and full power from the mighty Walkabout head. Although you won't get the full kick using it stand alone.

If the Walkabout is 4 and the extension is 4 (even tho you said it was 8 :p) .. you would be running the Walkabout at 2 ohms (and getting ~500w out of it BTW) but, as has been said in this thread, and about 100 others (search is your friend) ... 2 ohms is really no problem for the Walkabout .... even though it's not officially supported by Mesa in the user manual.

FWIW, all Mesa ever told me on this subject when I bought a 4 ohm Scout 15 ext for my 4 ohm Walkabout, is that I might consider not running the 2 ohm load set up at master volume levels much over 12 (straight up). I never have, and never .. ever, needed to. If, after using the Walkabout, you feel like you need to, then you probably need a higher powered head in the first place.

good luck

6. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks guys, this is definitely what I wanted to hear! If I decide to do this (which I'm really hoping for because I'm just not liking my current head), I'll probably go with the 8 ohm version just to be safe.

Now which one do you think would be the best compliment for a 4x10, the 12 or 15 combo?

7. I went with the 15 as a friend for my 410, the 12 was impressive, but just lacked a real solid low end presence, especially in a big room.

8. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. Does anyone know the weight on these things?

9. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Okay, I called up my local Mesa/Boogie dealer. It's about $550 for the 1x12 and $750 for the 1X15. I figured that a 15" speaker would compliment my 4x10, but does the 1x12 sound better by it's self?

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The 12" is 50 lbs. I believe the 15 is about 10 lbs more. I found it once on Mesa's site. It may still be there somewhere.