Question about the nut on my new to me Warwick

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bingo Pajama, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Bingo Pajama

Bingo Pajama

Apr 3, 2022

Attached Files:

Goatrope likes this.
  2. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I’ve got a German Thumb. The bottom of the JAN appears to be glued, but the top half is held only by string tension.

I don’t know for sure about fit, but you can measure your existing nut vs the dimensions of the JAN.

I’d strongly recommend this one instead:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/warwick_just_a_nut_iii_brass_5_str_45.htm

It’s the newer design which doesn’t require string loosening for adjustment.

3. Bingo Pajama

Bingo Pajama

Apr 3, 2022
    Have you used one? Did you have a negative experience? please let me know. It seems like a great design to me, and a small price to pay to be able to adjust each string individually as opposed to the one you linked too where they kind of all get adjusted as a group. And it's not like it needs to be adjusted all the time. you might only have to do it once if you play the same kind of strings for the rest of your life.

Goatrope likes this.
  4. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    If the nut slots are cut correctly, the nut never needs to move. I had the adjustable brass nuts on the Alembics, and they were fun to play with, but once they're set, they never needed to move again.

Goatrope likes this.
  5. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    No, and I agree with you. But you’d have to match the radius yourself as opposed to it already being set for you. Very minor effort.

My Thumb came with the one I linked. I’ve only ever adjusted it twice over the course of 8 years. And only as a test to see how low I could set my action. So yes, you shouldn’t need to keep adjusting the nut.

Honestly, I don’t think it’s worth changing if your existing nut is cut correctly and isn’t broken. I’ve detected no Sonic improvement either, but it looks great with my brass frets.

All that being said, they’re quality parts, and you’ll never break one, unlike the plastic nuts. So I you like it go for it!:hyper:

6. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    You don't adjust the nut with a change of string type or gauge. You may have to widen the slot for fatter strings, but the height never changes unless the frets are dressed lower. And the correct nut height is not a matter of personal taste - there is only one height that is right for any given bass. So adjustability is rather pointless.

7. Bingo Pajama

Bingo Pajama

Apr 3, 2022
    the only reason I want to change it is because I think it looks cooler. so I'm definitely going to do it. Thanks for the feed back

Goatrope likes this.
  8. Bingo Pajama

Bingo Pajama

Apr 3, 2022
    I did not know that. Maybe Warwick makes their nut adjustable because brass frets don't last as long as steel and they know its probably going to get dressed down sooner than later. I just had my Streamer set up for the first time in like 10 years and I didn't realize how flat and uneven my frets were till after my guy filed and sanded them smooth. I didn't even ask him to do it but I noticed it immediately when I got it back. He might have had to adjust the nut a little.