Question about the OLP Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BHuntsalot, Jan 10, 2005.

1. BHuntsalot

Nov 3, 2004
    I was wondering if you all could tell me if the OLP basses are good basses. How is the quality? How durable and reliable are they? Will they last and hold up? Looking at yet another bass and its an OLP. Just need some advice from you experienced guys before I lay down the greenbacks. Thanks
  2. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I've had one for about 3 years now. It's not a bad bass given the price and has served me well. The action's on the high side and they generally need a good setup. I've heard of some people upgrading the pickup on it to get closer to a real MM sound. It's certainly an inexpensive option.

Mine has taken a fairly decent beating (I'm not generally all that nice to my non-elite instruments) and it's held up the 3 years I've had it. It's had my little cousins playing with it, it's been dropped a couple of times and rattled around in my car. No problems so far.
  3. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    All of the OLPs I've played have been very very good. I think they are an excellent bang for the buck. I don't dig the Musicman copy that much because I prefer smaller bodies, but I love the Spector copies........ because I like small bodies. :p The ones I've played had realllll low action and it slapped like an angry biotch. which model are you considering?
  4. ashevans

Dec 22, 2004
    Oxford, UK
    i love my mm3. It is absolutely great for the price (though the bridge could be better...). You won't regret buying one. ;)
  5. BHuntsalot

Nov 3, 2004
    The model one I am looking at is the Spector 5 string model one. Keep the replies coming from you that have experience with OLP. Thanks
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I tried the OLP Stingray copy, and found it to be OK. The Spector copies bite. You might as well go for Spector's entry level line, the Performer Series.

I think OLP's make good back-up basses. I would never want to have one as my main bass.

7. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    you have to keep in mind that not every store has instruments that are perfectly set up for your tastes.
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    OLP = POS

To be more specific, I've played several of the OLP MM copies, and they were garbage. Very poor fretwork, poor workmanship, weak, thin sound. I wouldnt give $100 for one.
  9. I use the MM-3 as mymain bass for jazz and funk, and showtunes for school. It works awesome and plays great. Tons of sustain and punch. Slap is awesome too. I would definatly get it.
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Passive electronics, doesn't sound ANYTHING like a real MM bass, despite what some people WANT to believe.

String spacing is even narrower than the real MM SR5's, I can't see how ANYONE could slap on one with proper technique.

Fine for a backup or practice bass, but no way I'd ever use one for a real gig.
  11. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Sounds as though you may have missed last months Bass Player magazine OLP review. It was very favorable; I especially agree with their conclusion that these basses indeed have that Musicman growl, however the output is not as hot due to the lack of a preamp. Their biggest gripe was the minor construction flaws but yea, the tone is there!
    I have 4 OLPs including a 5 string (along with a Smith, Zon, Tobias, etc. 23 basses in all). I have modified 2 of them (a 4 and a 5 string) by adding a preamp and changing the bridges. I kept the other 2 passive and with a boost and eq at the amp, I get all the tone I could ever want from them as well. String spaceing has never kept me from slapping on either of these basses either.
    Oh yea, I almost forgot, I traded my Musicman Sterling a few months ago because the OLPs are indeed that good.
    Don't take my word for it, I really encourage anyone to read the BP artical and go play one. These are among the most underrated basses out there.

12. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004

i concur. :)
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I kept that in mind. I still found the Spector copies to be lame. The MM copies to be OK.