Question about the setup of strings and pickups.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by whed15, Jan 9, 2004.

1. whed15

Jan 9, 2004
    I recently bought a different bass for myself. I noticed that on this bass, the strings we not running exactly, equally between the magnets on the pickups. I tried to adjust the pickups to see if that would help anything, but nothing, it seems the strings don't even line up at all to the pickups. Could it be a bridge problem? The strings are not terribly off or anything and still sounds fine, but i was still wondering if there was a way i could fix this? I'm just weird like that... They are stock jazz pickups, and stock bridge, but i am planning on buy a pair of SD 1/4ers and a better bridge in time. What do ya think i could do if anyones seen or heard of this? Here are some pictures of what i mean....
  2. Your strings are within tolerance for the magnetic field they vibrate in. It's hard to tell from the pics but you might have a slightly misaligned bridge or misaligned pups. The real clue is that all of the strings are biased in the same direction. A wax pencil and a straightedge to make a precise centerline will tell you volumes about where the problem is.

But I wouldn't do anything until I replaced the bridge. You could acquire a Schaller roller bridge and then make the fine tuned adjustments to get the strings centered over the poles.