Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about the Spector website

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Mar 3, 2003.

1. If you order your bass direct from them (and not musiciansfriend), can you have a custom finish performed?

Without it costing bundles of $$?

Thanks.

Because I've fallen in love with "Greenburst" :D

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm humbled. Spector lover I might be, but I don't know the answer to this question. I know you can oder from warwick and it's cheaper, but that doesnt help. I know Nino had a spector that had finish problems, and he had it sent back to spector for refinishing. don't know how much it cost. man, GOOD QUESTION! i wanna know to! come on come on....someone post with more know how than me.....(thats everyone).......

3. *points and laughs*

:D Just kidding

I'll email them right now..in case nobody replies with the answer by the end of the week.

(edit - update)

I sent them the following email:

Title - If I order a Spector from your site...

...can I have a custom finish performed? For example, instead of choosing the normal black, blue etc, could I have "Greenburst" performed? Me and others at talkbass.com will be waiting for your reply.

Thank you.

Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out.

The kill is my AOL sig :D

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I am fairly sure you can get a custom finish on the Czech and USA models, but I don't think its very cheap...

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You can't order direct from Spector, youhave to go through one of his delaers. A few years ago I wanted a Czech in another color & it was only what was avalible. You could try to email Stuart.

info@SpectorBass.com

Stu answers all his emails.

If not, you could buy a bass & send it to Pat Wilkins to have refinished. He does top work for alot of builders.

6. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Hello all I new to posting on this board, although I have been hanging around for a few months. Anyway, I spoke to Gard from Bass Central yesterday and he informed me of a price increase on Spectors. It looks like a $200 increase all the way around, but it has not yet been posted on the website. But to clarify I know the price increase is on all USA models, but the Czechs might be the same. As for a custom finish you can have it done through a dealer only.

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
  8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Polly: I don't think that you can order direct from Warwick (basses). Endorsed artists can, but not the "general public". If that was the case, the dealers wouldn't bother carrying them.

9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    It was a warranty re-finish. Cost me $15 for shipping.

10. Anybody know where I can get one of those new Spectorcore basses? Fretless 5 string in the new teal and black finish. Musiciansfriend doesn't seem to carry them yet. . .

11. Stuart Spector rules!!!

He actually put some personality in his email. ;)

Anyway, this is his reply:

Hello --

Thanks for the email.

A "custom color", like greenburst, is possible on our USA Neck-Thru
    basses. All other series of basses have their "standard" finishes only.

Which bass where you interested in??

I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any additional
    questions. This reply is sent from my direct email address. Talk to you
    soon!

PJ Rubal
    National Product Manager / Artist Relations
    Stuart Spector Design Ltd
    703.279.8076 fax
    pj@spectorbass.com

I hope I can just hit "reply" and he'll receive it.

My reply:

Wow, quick reply!

I'm interested in the Spector NS2000 Q5. But I'm considering a custom finish, such as the "Greenburst", so I may go with the Neck-thru model, which is fine with me.

Can you give me an estimate (around $200, for example) of how much a custom finish will cost me?

One more question, if I were to buy a higher level Spector used off of, say, Ebay, could I send it to you guys to have a custom finish performed?

Muchas gracias,

Garrett

Further events warranted :D

12. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Dosen't seem like Stuart answered you email, PJ Rubal, the
    National Product Manager did. :)

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Also, he said greenburst came only on USA neck-thru models. not just any neckthru. And if your thinking of getting a Q5, I would say the USA neck thru is a little out of budget. the price differnce between the Q5 and a USA neck thru is....well......it's a pretty big price jump.

14. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah my previosu post was obviously crap, sorry :D I think that USA NT is a bit out fo your price range there..I ahve never seen a used green-burst one, and a new one is gonna run ya around 3 grand...

15. $3,000?

:eek:

F that, I'd rather have a Sadowsky

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    This thread makes me laugh.

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Also, you'll note, that a USA Neck-thru 5 currently lists for $5,300.

18. F that, I'd rather have 3 used Sadowsky's and a baseball.

:D