Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about theoretical wiring scheme

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Dec 15, 2002.

1. ok, i was thinking about the dummy coil in the MM sterling which allows one single coil pickup to be used without hum. now, if there was a jazz-style bass with a dummy coil next to the neck pickup, and you could select those two wired in series together, how closely would that approximate the P sound?

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That's an interesting question.

I'm not sure if putting the dummy coil in series will give the same effects that putting another pickup in series will. I guess it would lower the resonance, which is one of the main things.

Though, I think it'd be easier just to get a split-coil J pickup set. You could put a series/parallel switch in maybe for each pickup, if they've got the wires? (not sure if the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz are 2 or 4 wire).

The placement will be different, so that will always limit how close you can get.

Maybe Bart quad-coils are the way to go?