Question about this Peavey Stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Timebutt, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Hello,

I'm rather new in bass, but I must say: I'm really addicted. At the moment I'm playing in a band of some friends, and we're planning to do some small performances (play at parties, clubs, ...) but I think I will be lacking power with my current amplifier. I'm playing a Rickenbacker (view picture) TR35, 75 Watts of power (althought I think some watts are lost because of it's age) of 1979, pretty old huh.

So I started searching for a more powerful amplifier within my budget (I'm just a student, so this is rather important) and I suddenly came across this wonderful offer: somebody is selling two Peavey bass cabinets (view picture) one being a 115 BVX BV(15inch + horn) and a 210 TVX (2*10inch) cabinet, totalling 500 watts, both at 4ohm, priced 250€. Only problem I had, is that I had to start looking for a head matching this stack. I ended up at the Peavey Max 450 (450 watt 2 ohm, 300 watt 4ohm, 175 watt 8ohm), at the nice price of 350€.

This would total 600€, with a new head and second hand bass cabinets, but the only problem is, since this is a pretty expensive thing for me, is this stack worth it's money and is this good quality that will last for a very long time?

Please tell me all the suggestions you may have, since I'm not experienced in stacks + heads, and I would like to learn much about it. All your advice is very much appreciated!

Thank you for your attention,
    Nils Tijtgat (
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I think it's a good deal. Peavey gear is known for being "bullet proof" so I don't doubt that you will have any problems with that rig in the future. However, I might suggest to you getting a dolly on account of peaveys gear being a little on the heavey side.
  3. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    Peavey has a very solid reputation for providing good value and long-lasting durability - I think you can't go wrong with this deal. Since both cabinets are 4 ohms, you will get the full 450 watts from the amp. However, they might not be as portable as newer and more compact cabs. I can't comment on the prices as I am unfamiliar with your currency; for comparison, I am looking at a Peavey Mark VI head in a local shop priced at 30,000 Yen ( US$270.)
  4. They are totalling 500 watts, remember, that is the limit of the speakers power (safe limit continuously)

that'd be like the little brother to my setup :)
  5. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    oH MAN! this is pretty great ! I HAD that RIC combo back in the 80's!

it was a hand me down from my borther, and i remember several things about it realy well. 1) it was WOEFULLY underpowered for any gig ever contemplated in a rock band, and it was quite underpowered for even a decent proactice. 2) it had no buisness with a 15", cause it gives the impression that it has low end. mine didnt. 3) it was expensive new... more than it was worth 4) it taught me that you could KILL speakers rated for LOTS of watts with a head that was rated for not so manywatss if you crank up the head.

I dont mean to pick on your combo, as i said, i had one for a WHILE> if finally ran it as an extention cab using a separate head. Marginally better.

SO< that PEAVEY setup you are loking at is really a nice deal. You will be so pleased with it imo, and the price seems good. As others have said, Peavey isnt "high end" gear, but its got GREAT volume/tone for the buck, and thats not faint praise. in fact, if you could find a peavey mark IV, the older ones, imo you will be really happy. they are CHEEEEP too.

that rig you are looking at is , in all honesty, at least 1000 timesbetter than what you have now. and thats no exaggeration. even with just the 210 cab, you will be far happier. WAY happier.

sell that ric to someone just learning how to play, get get that peavey rig. they last forever.

Hey, good luck!
  6. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I have the exact same set up.

Except I have the Nitrobass which is the same amp, just different looking. It sounds great, you can get many many different tones from it. The only complaint I have is weight and portability. The entire rig weighs roughly 200 lbs and each component is bulky. It's well worth the price.
  7. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    The 115 looks like a Scorpion speaker for me!

8. Thank you very much for your advice in this matter, since at the moment I am really doubting about purchasing this rig or not: I mean, I think it is quite a lot of money and an awesome load of power while I don't know if I will really be needing this sort of power for gigs and stuff. On the other hand: I must say I am really in love with the way this rig looks: I think this looks like a monster on stage and the colours are just perfect, this rig is really pleasing the eye :)

Another part is that I don't think I will ever need a different amp if I have this one, so I would love to buy this rig, but my parents think I'm quite crazy for wanting to buy it. They think 500 Watts is WAY overpowered for what I'll ever need (since there are PA's to amplify) ... The weight doesn't form an actual problem: if necessary I think I can go to rehersals with just the 2*10inch speakers and still get a nice sound?

About the Rickenbacker: you are right when saying this amplifier doesn't offer enough power to play in my band: I have troubles hearing myself, more than I would like, so I definately need a new amp, but on the other hand: I bought this amp for 40€ and I can sell it for 150€ if I like, so that's something positive isn't it? :)

P.S.: any idea what the size of this stack would form in total? I mean the height and width of the entire rig
  9. Oh im gonna have to post mine now :smug:
  10. The sizes of cabs and amps are on
  11. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I really like these amps (nitrobass and firebass(max450/700)). The Eq is just a little harder to dial in a specific tone and it doesn't nail that tone of an overdriven SVT or a throaty just comes into the neighborhood.....However you get power, good useable tone, great reliability and customer support for a fraction of the cost of. I like Peavey... don't get me wrong, I am a fan of GK and Trace, but I don't really think there is anything negative about these amps
  12. To be honest, ive never thought the peavey sounded anywhere close to an overdriven SVT, however, i got a sansamp BDDI that does the trick ;) (when not using an SVT) , the best part is the contour control, really warms up the signal :)
  13. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    You're right....I am not saying it CAN sound like an overdriven SVT. I am saying that it Can sound like an overdriven Peavey that is similar in that it has a "vintage" rock tone. make sense now?
  14. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

It is tough to beat a Peavey for value and durability. I played thru them for years and still have a bunch of Peavey gear...
    good quality stuff...mostly bullet-proof too.