Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about this vintage bass TELESTAR???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boomboom78, Jun 18, 2003.

1. boomboom78

boomboom78

Jun 18, 2003
    hattiesburg ms
    Okay I'm trying this again. I'm not sure if it got posted because I lost the window somehow the first time I tried to write this. Here it is again.

This is my first post. I recently started learning bass. I got tired of using a borrowed bass so I bought one and I'm hoping someone can give me some info on it. Here is what I know.

It's a very short scale bass, no longer than a regular guitar. It is called Telestar and was supposedly made in Japan in the 60's, or at least that's what the seller said. It's a 4 string in line and is comparable to the Fender Music Master. It's a bit shorter than Music Master but I think they both have 20 frets. It's obviously old, judging from the style of the bridge and the pickups. It has a working truss rod.

I'm enjoying the hecl out of it and am picking up bass very quickly. I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about TELESTAR because I have been trying to research the history of the name and have found very little info on anything called telestar and definitely no short scales. I'm just curious who made it, where, when, etc, but any info you have is welcome. I'm trying to attach a pic of the bass. Email me if you want. Thanky!!!

~A

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    As far as I can make out "Telestar" was the house brand of a New York company called "Inter-Mark" (International Marketing?).
    Their guitars seem to have a pretty good reputation so there's no reason that their basses wouldn't.
    Probably made in the same factory that brands like "Colombus" and "Samick" etc were made in the mid/late sixties.
    This factory burnt down in the 70's and production of smaller brands went to korea et al with a consequent loss in quality.
    Probably just as good as a "Musicmaster" ... enjoy it!

3. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    nice bass bro,i love the color.theres something about an olde bass thats just right,the woods all settled in and matured nice and dark.my teacher has a 72 mustang bass and it all worn in and faded.i dont know how much you know about setting up the actual bass,so you mite want to have it looked at to make sure its all its playing tight:D

4. boomboom78

boomboom78

Jun 18, 2003
    hattiesburg ms
    hey thanks alot for the replies...at least now I have an idea where it came from. The guy said he thought it came from Japan but he could've been wrong. New York sounds better to me anyway.

I did take it to a music store and I know the owner's a pro and a cool guy...anyway it had to have a new input jack but other than that he seemed to think it was in good shape. My strings slip off of the bridge, which sucks. The E string rattles like crazy and I'm not sure if the neck needs adjusting or what. Anyway thanks for the info and the advice!

--A.

5. i bought this bass in the spring of 72 for 35$. i still have it along with my fenders. learned how to play on it. kept for sentimental and i still play the shortscale telestar sometimes.i read somewhere where they are made in japan. strange pickups. loud muddy sound. fun to play.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I had one of those (may have been my very first bass). I think I paid around $70 for it a lot more years ago than I'd like to admit. :) Actually have a cassette recording with it jamming to some old rush and zeppelin songs through a refridgerator cabinet and custom head. Sounded cool and thumpy. I didn't have a clue what I was doing back then though. I'm in NY and I remember they were popular here, so perhaps it's true they were made here.

I'd love a pic. You can email nervemail@aol.com . Thanks.

7. I still have my 70s Telestar jazz. Played it this morning. Been having this old friend for 40 yrs'

8. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Just found this thread. I thought I was the only one that had a "Telestar". I am not making this up but, every person I talk with about bass guitars always ask if I meant "Telecaster". This is what my first bass looked like, this is not the acutal one I found this photo on the internet, but mine was the exact same. Bought in '77 or '78 when I was in junior high for $75 plus a Gibson Thor amp for $150

[​IMG]

9. BootzillaSun

BootzillaSun

Apr 8, 2011
    I have a Telestar bass that i got when my Dad passed .It is shaped like a telecaster.Funning thing is for being the size of a electric Guitar it sounds like a full size bass threw my bass rig. I have been thinking of making it a fretless.

10. elmohoof

elmohoof

Sep 24, 2003
    Alliance, OH
    I had a Telestar bass, in fact it was my first bass, It was a 34" and looked like a P bass, but with one pickup, not a split one, like a foil one