1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about tone: Almost Like Me - Gerald Veasley - Odean Pope Trio

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by theretheyare, Aug 10, 2012.

1. theretheyare

theretheyare

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    this lp has always been, and still is, for me one of the definitive bass guitar records. Gerald Veasley is just fantastic and full-on.
    clips:

I love his recorded tone here. On the back cover he is seen playing a Stingray. So assuming he is doing that, what other things (effects, recording style, amp) do we think are going on? I think I am hearing a big dose of compression, through a DI, for starters. Any ideas? Thanks and enjoy the music!

2. I don't know anything about the recording, but that's some great bass playing there.

3. sharp5sharp9

sharp5sharp9

Jul 27, 2012
    Lancaster UK
    Awesome playing and tone, never come across these before thanks for sharing!

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow, a Cornell Rochester sighting!
    ...Veasley is, no doubt, hangin' with him ("1" is nowhere to be found).
    ;)

Good stuff in the Harmoldodic vibe...

EDIT-
    Damn, I want that album!

5. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    ^^^This!

6. theretheyare

theretheyare

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    Thanks for all the comments! It's a true bass guitar classic as far as I am concerned. It existed on lp only for years, which I acquired, when i was still living overseas. It's from a German label (Moers music) associated with the Moers jazz festival, and I just saw they now offer it on cd. http://www.moers-music.com/catalog/overview.html . You can email them at info@moers-music.com if you want to order something.