question about truss rods....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Nov 30, 2001.

1. I have an ibanez sr400, and the action is a bit high for my style of play, so if i lower the bridge sattles for all the strings to lower the action a bit, will i have to adjust the trussrod as well, or can i leave that alone?

(It wouldnt be a huge change, but its just a bit to much effort im putting forth to fret...and i have no clue how to adjust trussrods at all, so im just hoping not.)

2. mac315

Nov 11, 2001
    Ellijay, Georgia
    If you are slightly adjusting string height you shouldn't have to adjust the truss rod. BUT, it depends on just how high the strings are to begin with. Under some circumstances you may need to adjust the truss rod. Typically tightning the truss rod lowers the strings and loosening it raises them. Turn 1/8 to 1/4 turns at a time

Go ahead and make your adjustments to the bridge to lower your strings. Then check the relief.

I hold down the A string on the first fret with my index finger, and just past the end of the neck I hold the A string down with my elbow. This creates a straight line. Then using my free hand I tap on the A string. The amount it moves is "relief" My standard setup is with about a credit card space under the string.

Now, what does this mean? Well if you adust the bridge to lower your strings and you check the relief and the string is touching the neck, you need to adust the truss rod.

Also, after lowering the strings if the notes buzz only above the 12th fret, then there's too much bow in the neck. Tighten the truss rod.

If after you lower the strings, the notes only buzz in the 1st to 5th frets then your neck is too straight. Loosen the truss rod.

If after you lower the strings, the notes buzz all up and down the neck, the neck's fine. Your strings are just too low.

Be sure to check your intonation after lowering your strings as it may change.

Joe Weiss
    Weiss Custom Basses