Question about tuning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rmerritt, May 28, 2002.

1. rmerritt

Apr 10, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    I have returned to the bass after a 30-year hiatus after finding a good deal on an instrument and combo amp......I went with a 4 because it's what I was used to, but wonder if I made a mistake. I have researched tuning, but still have some questions: Does drop D tuning mean you tune the E string down to D? or...why couldn't you put a set of 5 strings on a 4-string bass and have B E A D? Would the B not fit in the space for the E? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions, but I want to be able to play notes lower than E without buying another bass...and I do like my skinny jazz neck! I would eventually like to play in a C&W cover band when I get back up to speed. Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Yes-drop D tuning is usually [low to high] D A D G, stringing a 4 with BEAD would require nut filing usually to accomodate the bigger string. that ol' addiction comin back eh? ;) :D thats all, hoped it helped.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Chances are that you might not need to file the nut to accomodate the thicker BEAD stringing after all. Try for yourself and see. If they don't fit, spend some cash on another nut, let a pro file it for you and you can change back and forth between them as you like.
  4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Maybe if you went with heavier strings, you could use a "standard" E, A, D and G string and just tune them B, E, A and D?