Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about tweeters/horns in cabinets..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Magneto, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Many bass cabs feature these. Is there a crossover used in this configuration, or are the bass speakers running full-range with the tweeter adding to the highs? I haven't noticed mention of crossovers when looking at the specs on various makes/models of these cabs, so I'm starting to assume that the woofers are running full range.
    Some cabs have tweeter level controls, but I'm assuming that these are for controlling tweeter output.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mag...

2. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I've had a ton of cabs with tweeters, and they all just added to the highs. They have attenuators so you can control the level coming from the tweeter, but as far as I know, the speakers run full range all the time. Even my SWR Triad that has a 15", a 10", and a horn in it doesn't have a crossover...

I'm sure someone out there makes a cab with a crossover in it, but I've never seen a crossover in any of the Genz Benz, SWR, Ampeg, Eden, Hartke, or Peavey cabs that I have had experience with.

Your best bet for finding something similar would be to look for a cab that you can bi-amp. I have a crappy old Crate 1810 cab that has a 2x10 and a 1x18 in the same cab. You can run the whole thing full range, or you can run separate signals. This way, you can send low end to the 18 and the mids and highs to the 10s. Of course, you have to have an amp capable of bi-amping.

3. Sorry to disagree but all cabinets with a tweeter have a crossover of some kind except maybe ones with Piezo tweeters.Most run the woofers full range and use a high pass crossover on the tweeters that block the low notes from getting to the tweeter.Run a low E through a tweeter and it won't last till the note fades away,it will cook.My SWR,Eden,Peavey and Avatar cabinets all have some kind of crossovers.If you remove the back jack plate off any of these cabinets you will see capacitors,copper coils and maybe even a small fuse light bulb.This is the crossover.

4. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Ahh a crossover for the tweeter, but not for the cab. I stand corrected, though I thought the question was mainly asking whether there was a crossover to send all the highs to the tweeter or whether the speakers received all the signal, and then the tweeter just added to the highs. Like I said though, I do stand corrected. :)

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Bass cabs tend not to adhere to hi-fi standards, so crossovers are generally not employed, just high-pass filters for the tweeter. This tends not to be problematic, as the horn loaded tweeters usually are at least 6dB more sensitive than the woofers anyway, so the high frequency content wasted going to the woofer isn't necessary to drive the tweeter. A lot of crosstalk IM distortion does occur in the wide frequency overlap zone between the two driver sections, but again, electric bass cabs are not hi-fi. The main advantage to a tweeter is that it allows the sound from the backline cab to have a reasonably similar range to that of the PA, so the player hears something closer to what the audience does with a tweeter than without. Tone control is best achieved by having the tweeter level not severely attenuated but rather by cutting the high end on the amp EQ.