1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

question about two amp setup: one 'wet', one 'dry'...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Willem, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I don't know if this is the right subforum. But it has to do with effects so...

You people who run your bass into a splitter, with signal one going straight into an amp and the other signal through some effects and then into another amp...
    Which signal goes to the mixing board? The affected signal or the unaffected or both? I just don't get how you get your overal sound into that mixing board with two different signals :confused: ?

Also what are the advantages of this approach to a looper with a blend function except for the fact that it is a little cheaper?

2. i guess it would depend on how you want to sound...personally, i'd do both, that way everybody hears the same thing as you. as for getting an overall sound through the mixing board, its the same way with two amps...they just blend...

as for the loooper, it is a lot cheaper, and it takes up less space than two amps and cabs on the stage. anyways, i would assume you'd get the same sound for cheaper in the end...

3. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    One of the advantages in a two amp set-up is that you can mix & match amps to emphasise desired properties of the dry/wet signals.

Eg: run your dry through a 115 to really capture the fundamental bass tone, while the wet signal goes to a 410 to enhance the top end (where fx are more audible).

The other advantage that springs to mind is redundancy: two amps means you need catastrophic failure in both before you can't do the gig - keep a loooper handy just in case, and you can still blend.

Yeah, I'm paranoid :)

4. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    As far as the Blend function on a loooper bypass, don't get it. I have one and thought it would be great to have control on wet to dry ratio, however the loooper blend was not very high quality and doesn't sound good at all. I don't even use it, it sux too much tone away, it really doesn't blend the signals well at all. I'm not sure if there is a higher quality blend on the market. I would use 2 amps, highest acheivement in tone, I've thought of doing the same but then I remind myself "I'm just the bassist" :p

5. Back in the day I ran a two amp set up: a clean tone into a 18" and a effected (often distorted) tone in a 410. I would have a DI sent to the board before it split to the two amps and also have the 410 mic'd and sent to the board. Seemed to work really well, overall.

Good luck!

6. i was just thinking about trying the same thing soon....currently i has a 2 channel peavey head, i split my signal at my first pedal (a behringer chorus) and run the 2nd out direct to amp and the first out into all my pedals into another channel.....but i was thinking about running both my quads with seperate heads and setting one for effects and the other for clean...but i dunno
    Image017.
    maitlandpedals.

7. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    To develop and document policies and procedures to facilitate custom programming operations that are efficient and effective.

To provide a service level in custom programming that meets and exceeds client expectations.

In bi-amping a bass, it makes the most since to have a separate high-end and low end-amping as opposed to clean/dry. I use to run a guitar amp with the bass control turned down and a bass amp with the treble turned down. I always meant to buy a cross over but a ‘Y’ cable did what I wanted. At the time, the only effects I was running was compression and flange which I ran to the guitar amp. In playing bigger venues, I’d ask for two DI’s and let the sound guy deal with the clean/effected signal in the house mix.

Tym Guitars sells an effect pedal called “Big Bottom” that makes this possible with one amp: there is a cross-over so the high-end goes through an effect loop, and the low-end is unaffected.

What comes around goes around as I’m looking at a power mixer amp for my bass high-end, keyboard, and melody pick-up on Chapman Stick. A 3 to 1 selector pedal will let me select between bass guitar, Tarus pedals and bass pick-up on Chapman Stick .