1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about unscrewing a bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cossie, Aug 1, 2007.

1. cossie

cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hi,

This might sound like a stupid question but I wanted to ask it anyhow. I had trouble in the past with my bridge causing some buzzing, I fixed it.

But it's coming back again now.

The last time I unscrewed the bridge, I was also putting new strings on.

However this time I've only recently put new strings in, so I was wondering if it would work out unscrewing the bridge without unwinding the strings?

It might sound like a seriously lazy a$$ approached but what can I say, I'm in that sort of humor today! :p

2. i would not try that! i am not a pro by any means, but that just doesnt sound like a good idea. seems like WAY too many things could go wrong here.

3. datsgora

datsgora Guest

May 23, 2007
    N. Ca. Martinez

When you say "unscrewing your bridge", what exaclty do you mean? You should have no need to unscrew the bridge to change strings....if you mean the mounting screws. If you mean the allen screws that adjust string height, then yea , go ahead and adjust those with the strings on. IF, you were to unscrew the mounting screws with strings on and tightened, you would find your bridge being pulled forward by the tension of the strings, If you want to loosen your strings enough to unscrew the bridge, then that would be ok, just loosen them enough so the tension is no longer present.

4. cossie

cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    Yeah sorry, I meant that I was referring to unscrewing the mounting screws.

The last time I did it was to check the grounding as I was getting a lot of buzzing. I've just realised that it could have been interpreted as me saying I unscrewed the bridge _to_ change the strings but what I meant was I had taken the bridge off _and_ just happened to be changing my strings at the same time.

I took the strings off last night to do the checking.

Thanks for the replies!

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006

Removing the mounting screws from the bridge while the guitar is strung to tension will damage the internal threads in the mounting holes. It is also a great way to get a mouthful of bridge.