Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about using alcohol to revive strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Apr 11, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Will normal rubbing alcohol, (To treat cuts/scraps/infections ect) work?

2. Yes, Isopropyl "rubbing" alcohol will work.

Get the 91% alcohol type, otherwise too much water.

I use money to revive my strings.

3. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    Use de-natured alcohol- it's a bit cheaper!

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thank you.

I usually use money to revive strings also, but money seems to be alluding me right now. ;)

5. Enough alcohol will make anything sound good.

6. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    hey there liquid
    yes indeed , ive used isopropyl on my strings for years , usually before , midway and of course at the end of EVERY gig or rehearsal , it makes them last all the way through until i cant use them anymore doe to mechanical damage , where the frets have " dented " the strings , if you can afford strings , slacken them off a bit before you wipe them , that seems to get them brighter but by doing that i think they weaken and can let go on you , usually when the band is really smokin , then its transpose time . but anyway get into isopropyl with a lint free cloth , like an old tee shirt or something , they will stay bright right to the end , ......another tip , a quick wipe between songs and washing your hands before the gig doesnt hurt either , rock on !:cool:p.s , stainless steel strings usually last longer and brighter for me , of course they eat your frets and neck !! cant win huh [ im using warwick 40 to 100 , cheap but very good ! ]

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Cool, thanks for the advice Makatak.