Question about using alcohol to revive strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Apr 11, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Will normal rubbing alcohol, (To treat cuts/scraps/infections ect) work?
  2. Yes, Isopropyl "rubbing" alcohol will work.

Get the 91% alcohol type, otherwise too much water.

I use money to revive my strings.
  3. slade

Apr 5, 2001
    Use de-natured alcohol- it's a bit cheaper!
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thank you.

I usually use money to revive strings also, but money seems to be alluding me right now. ;)
  5. Enough alcohol will make anything sound good.
  6. Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    hey there liquid
    yes indeed , ive used isopropyl on my strings for years , usually before , midway and of course at the end of EVERY gig or rehearsal , it makes them last all the way through until i cant use them anymore doe to mechanical damage , where the frets have " dented " the strings , if you can afford strings , slacken them off a bit before you wipe them , that seems to get them brighter but by doing that i think they weaken and can let go on you , usually when the band is really smokin , then its transpose time . but anyway get into isopropyl with a lint free cloth , like an old tee shirt or something , they will stay bright right to the end , ......another tip , a quick wipe between songs and washing your hands before the gig doesnt hurt either , rock on !:cool:p.s , stainless steel strings usually last longer and brighter for me , of course they eat your frets and neck !! cant win huh [ im using warwick 40 to 100 , cheap but very good ! ]
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Cool, thanks for the advice Makatak.