Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about using both chanels on a head with effects

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by godraphonic, Jun 16, 2005.

1. godraphonic

godraphonic

Jun 6, 2005
    I have been building a pedal board to make more use of the effects I have aquired over the years.

Many of the distortion type effects for guitars cut off the lowend and take all the 'bass' out of my bass. I have been making a second loop out of a dry out from a stereo pedal, and sending the bass cutting pedals to the second chanel of my amp.

That way the most of the bottom and original tone is preserved by the first channel, and I can still get a good distortion sound with low end.

I run the second chanel a little lower and between them both adjust the volume so its about the same as I would run on chanel one alone. chanel 2, I boost the highs a tad (1:30-2) and cut the lows (11:00).

Is it 'bad' for the amp to use both channels? It doesn't seem any noisier, and I can get a little fatter of a clean tone with both channels. Its an early SVT head. I play passive basses, a Jazz and a Ric 4003.

If its bad for the head, I will invest in a line selector or blending looper to deal with the bass cutting noise pedals.

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I used to do the same thing.

Found that a Boss LS-2 allowed me to blend
    dry and wet signals though a single output and
    sound much better.

3. godraphonic

godraphonic

Jun 6, 2005
    Thanks Finger blister, I have been looking to buy the LS2 off ebay.

Ayy of you amp guru's have any thoughts about the possibility of hurting the amp by using both channels?

4. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

I have never heard of anyone damaging an amp doing that.
    Years ago when PA systems were non-existant we would stack up 4 Fender Deluxe reverbs on each side of the stage and plug the 2 vocalist mics into channel 1 and channel 2 of the closest amp and use jumper cords to connect to all the other channels on all the other amps together...8 Deluxe Reverbs all tied together..
    what is that....8 times 26 watts??? 200 watt PA? worked like a charm...every time...I usually got the job of making sure the amps were grounded properly because I didn't mind getting shocked untill everything was right...Which is why I am the way I am today... :D