Question about Warmoth neck finish/seal

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by callmebono, Dec 8, 2004.

1. I bought a neck off ebay. I had intended to give it a vintage tint and hopefully bring out some more of the birdseye, but it it is already sealed (it has a red dot on the neck pocket, meaning "finished", according to Warmoth). The finish or seal or oil (I do not know exactly what it is) is not very thick, but there is definitely something on it.

Does this mean I can still go ahead and give it a vintage tint? Is there any way to bring out the birdseye, or would I need to strip the current finish/oil somehow and then restart?

This is my first attempt at doing any of this sortof stuff, so please understand my knowledge is minimal. Thanks!

Neck in question:
  2. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    The thin finish with the red dot on the heel is clear satin lacquer. We put the dot on because if we don't people call us, convinced that there's no finish on the neck. If you pick it off with a razor blade, you can see the shiny vinyl sealer coat underneath.
  3. Thanks Brian, thats roughly what Gregg told me. I guess my real question is how best to proceed from here? Is there any way to draw out the birdseye more before applying the tint laquer? Or will it naturally start to show/contrast more as I finish it?