question about warwick thumbs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RockStar571, Jan 23, 2003.

1. what's the difference between the newer models and the older ones?
  2. The newer ones were built more recently.
  3. haha ooooh well thanks all my questions have been answered...i can now die a happy man

any non-sarcastic comments?
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    by older you mean anything that isn't the same as what's being made right now?
  5. i wish i knew the years so i wouldn't sound like such a moron but yes what changes in woods and pickups have they gone through?
  6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    RockStar, this is what I know.
    Prior to 1998, Warwick was making their necks using Bubinga with Wenge stringers. Now they are using Ovangkol stringers. Most people seem to like the Wenge better. In 1997 they switched from a brass nut to a graphite nut. Most people miss the brass nut which can still be purchased. I believe there has been a subtile change to the shape of the body as well. The new Thumbs are made from Bubinga pommele and it seems to be more figured than the straight Bubinga. The older Thumbs had an 18 volt pre amp, the new ones have a 9 volt system. I understand that way back they came with other pickups but now the MEC's are standard.
    Well, thats about all I know, I hope it helps. By the way, my Thumb is a 1998 with Wenge and brass, I love it but I like some of the new Warwicks as well.
  7. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have a 96 Thumb BO fretless that I bought in 97. Martin Petersen of Seibass and Gallery told me (in 97) that the 'older' ones had a thicker neck.

Also I have never found a BO Thumb with a body colour like mine. It's not ovangkol. I posted here a while back and myself and Jason (AKA Warwick5s) came to an educated guess that it might be bubinga.

It's an excellent bass and I think it's better than others i have tried (although part of that might be the "I paid cash for this so its marvelous syndrome").