Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about Warwicks (Corvette Standard)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DraVenSF, May 21, 2004.

1. I had a question about my warwick...
    I know it was dumb of me to purchase one without knowing all the facts about the bass, the pros and cons. I really looked up to some bassists out there and they had Warwicks and I loved the sound. So I got me one. A 5-string Warwick Corvette Standard.

now my questions...
    An active bass is a bass that has a preamp and uses a battery to power it right? Can someone give me info active basses, the pros and cons. If there is a thread already send me a link.

What drains the battery?
    I find the battery dying on me a lot, and im not sure what causes it and what I can do to make it last longer. Can someone help me out?

I heard all Warwicks are active basses. True?
    If anyone has links to some good info on Warwick basses. Something I can read to get a better understanding of my bass and how it works. Things I can add or take out, switch, to make the sound better. Stuff like that...

Thanks in advance for the replies, I appreciate it.

2. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    An active bass can have an active preamp, active pick ups, or both. Make sure you unplug the guitar cable whenever you are not using the bass as this is what causes the connection to the battery. There is a lot more info out there that a google search will really help you with.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not all Warwicks are active. The corvette comes in a passive version as well.

To save the battery, unplug it when not in use.

4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Stereo input jacks, as used with active electronics in theory are supposed to cut the power that pulls on the battery when nothing is plugged into the jack. If you purchased your bass used (it could also be the problem on a new instrument, but not as likely) it is possible that there is a short within the jack. If this is the case, it could be constantly pulling power from the battery, instead of turning the power off when there is nothing plugged in. Try having the jack replaced.

Steve