1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about weightloss

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by trasser, Jun 12, 2007.

1. trasser

trasser

Dec 13, 2005
    Hi guys.

First, a little story.
    There was a year at the winter olympic games, where some Norwegian skiers (is that the correct word? You know people that stand on skis - the dictionary explains it as: narrow wood or metal or plastic runners used in pairs for gliding over snow - I think you know what I mean) had a coach, that was accused of making them loose so much weight, that it was dangerous to them - appareantly it was an advantage to be lightweight.
    Know, I've heard, that if you loose to much weight, eventually, you don't have more body fat, and your muscles will start to shrink. I don't know if thats true or not, but that made we wonder - if you, like, have anorexia, will that damage your bass muscles???

2. antiseptic

antiseptic **antisepticised**

Jul 18, 2006
    la la land
    I don't EVER even want to imagine if I have anorexia.
    And what are the bass muscles, anyway?

But, there have been some musicians who are renowned for their eating disorders or for their incredibly skinny figures yet continue to perform.

3. trasser

trasser

Dec 13, 2005
    Cool.
    Bassmuscles - well, I've been told, that you can't develop speed on a bass just by going to the gym and doing weightlifts, you have to play the bass to grow the muscles you use to play with.

4. I believe this is called muscle waisting. If your using more calories than your intaking and your body fat is already depleated your muscles are the next on the list.

Some experts have said that once you start putting the weight back on it's far easier to put way more body fat on because your muscle mass is lower therfore your calorie consumption from muscle is lower and more fat is stored.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland
    I'd be concerned if I started looking like a sack of bones, it's just not a healthy situation to be in. What comes to bass playing, yes it strenghtens your forearms and specific small hand muscles a tad, but it's more about adjusting on nerve-muscle connection (muscle memory) which causes your playing touch to improve, I think.

Some experts recommend a good amount of gym work while on a diet, it burns calories and minimizes the muscle loss.

6. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    You don't even have to lose all your fat before your body starts using up muscle tissue for fuel! If you're sedentary, you'll lose both at the same time on a "starvation" diet. Exercise, even just a 10 minute walk and 5 minutes with the dumb-bells, will minimize the muscle loss.

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Better known as atrophy.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    mlowe's got it right. Your body has approximately 45 minutes of "ATP" per day -- that is, the energy reserves used during cardiovascular activity. After you've used up your food and your ATP, it starts to eat away at your muscle tissue (even if your body fat isn't 0%.)

Take a look at a marathon runner and an Olympic sprinter. Chances are the Olympic sprinter looks like a beefcake compared to a marathon runner, because marathon runners are training to run ludicrous distances while the sprinter does interval training.

That said, cutting weight in sports is a very common thing (and a very bad one.) Ask anyone who's ever fought in combat sports (boxing, MMA) or been on a wrestling/gymnastics/rowing team in college. These sports or events are divided into weight classes and there are constantly athletes competing that have to lose upwards of 10lbs in a few hours before the weigh-in so they can still compete.

EDIT:
    Sprinter (college level)
    [​IMG]

Marathon runner
    [​IMG]

9. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    i try to gain weight....im 150LBs....i can't gain weight....its odd....but sucks to be those fat bastards lol....j/k.

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Write this down and save it. In 30 years, go back and read it. Your body now is NOTHING like it will be - guaranteed!

11. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    In extreme cases of anorexia, not only the muscles, but the nerves also are damaged....and you cant play as if you had Parkison disease.

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I went from 145lbs to 170lbs in a year. Just lift weights competently and eat healthy foods.

13. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    If I remember correctly, nerves have a coating of fat around them, so if you don't have the fat to supply it, I guess the nerves would get damaged.

14. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    It's at this time I'd like to point out that having muscle doesn't make you slower, like so many Martial Artists like to say.

Who's faster? The sprinter or the Marathon runner? The former, of course. And look how buff he is.

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    There are certain sports where it is advantageous to be lighter, but the returns diminsh quickly when you start to tear down your muscles.

I raced bicycles for 10+ years and being lighter is certainly helpful when you are battling gravity riding uphill (uphill advantage is always better than downhill advantage for road racing). Lance Armstrong is a good example, his battle with cancer destroyed his muscle mass over his entire body. When he rebuilt his fitness and strength, he wasn't carrying 10+ lbs. of upper body muscle that he had from swimming as a kid. To a bike racer, upper body muscle weight is useless for moving the bike down the road quickly. That weight loss gave Armstrong the power-to-weight ratio to allow him to go uphill a lot faster. In cross-country skiing, the power-to-weight issue is very similar.

16. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    There are still bicyclists who prefer to use lower gears and just pedal harder, but less RPM.

17. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    Yeah, but the distance runner gets to pee himself. Pluses and minuses.

18. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Don't worry, you'll never get that buff. ;)

EDIT: Funny story time!

Doing warmups in BJJ, people start talking about weight lifting and body building and then steroids. Coach says he saw or heard some comedian say "How do those guys pee? Well, I guess they don't have to. They just go to the bathroom and say 'Hey you, grab my dick.' and the guy does it."

So there's your answer.

19. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    True. That was my tendancy compared with many of my competitors. My pure muscle strength was pretty high, and my body worked most efficiently at a slightly lower RPM. We're still not looking at bodybuilder type of mass, though.

20. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Bodybuilders build for mass regarldess of strength. Athletes go the other way. It's just that muscle mass is usually a by-product of gaining strength.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021