Question about what bass to buy around $500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Feb 15, 2003.

1. I made a post a few weeks ago about a good bass to consider at about $700. But small rig is really more important to me since the rig is a big part of the sound. So I was wondering what are some versitle basses for mainly types of rock/metal/ and a little swing. My budget would be for a bass about $500 since I want a good rig too. Now this won't happen for a while till I go get my butt a partime job but any and all help is appreciated.

Edit: Also reccomend 5 strings besides 4, I never played a 5 but it wont hurt to try them out.

(HD's edit - changed mild profanity, changed thread title to something more meaningful)
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What about a P? Can't go wrong with a P-bass...
  3. i'll second that.
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Yep... for $500 you can get a very decent used MIA P-Bass, a MIM P with plenty left over if you decide to upgrade the pickups and bridge, (which some feel that they need... IMO these basses are fine out of the box...)

If you're willing to go used, there's plenty of 5's available... MTD Kingston's get fairly high marks around here and can be had reasonably...

5. Ah thanks for the help guys. I wasn't sure about really what to get. I've played a P-bass before and liked the sound, so I may go with that.
  6. I'll say MTD as well. I got a used Heir 5 with an aguilar preamp put in for $500.
  7. You should get a Rumblefish XL, they play great, are nice and light, and you can get a good range of tones from it. Oh hey!!! What a coincidence! There is one being offered in the classified listings right now for exactly $500.;)

8. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    It really depends on what style of music you're interesed and what style of music you'll primarily be playing. While Fende P and Jazz basses are pretty much the standard with which most people start (JPJ recommends you try a the way ;) ), there are a LOT of good basses in the $500 range that are really good to start out, which many of them being active basses and instruments designed with the more modern player (slappers included) in mind. The Korean-made MTD basses have received great reviews over the last few years, and you could probably find a used Skyline for around that price. The Made-in-Mexico line of Fenders would be a good place to start, but Peavey also makes great basses for a tremendous value. You could also get an entry-level Carvin (mail order only) for around that price. There are probably a lot more options than you may realize, so the best way to decide is to just play a lot of basses, decide what "type" of bass (wood, pickups, neck dimensions, active/passive, etc) will work best for your style and taste, and then pick one that feels and sounds better than all the rest.
  9. Well I mostly play rock. So I was wondering whould it be best if I'm comfortable to get a 5 string as my next bass ? The low B can come in handy and make a nice thumb rest when not using it. Adn what are some good 5 strigns for rock lower then 500 smackers ? I looked at the MTD Kingston 5 string but don't know anything about it, and I hope it comes in something other then blue. I really like wood finishes...sigh
  10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I'll throw in the Jazz. You can't go wrong with one of those either.

11. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    You should get a used MIM jazz bass for about 250 & then buy a used j-retro & put that in there.

That will give you one hell of a bass. The J-retro kills!
  12. Get a used Korean Spector. A great sound for any type of music.
  13. My first bass is an ESP B-205 LTD, which can be had for under $500, if you're looking for a five string. Active p/u, 3 band EQ, rosewood fretboard, etc. I read up a lot on it before purchasing (for some reason I didn't feel like getting a Fender P or J), and in general the reviews were very favorable. Many people are surprised that the bass comes from Korea (whatever THAT means), and how it seems like a much better deal than what they paid for it. Ironically, the only real negative review was the one on talkbass about its upgraded brother, the B-305.

The ESP line generally caters to metalheads in the US (from what I gather by looking at the website), but their basses are actually pretty versatile. I had heard about them because many Japanese bands I like use their guitars and basses. However, MTD seems to be more popular on this board than ESP as far as Korean made basses are concerned. (But I never even heard of MTD before reading this forum.)

But really, try as many basses out as you can. That's a must. You could want a bass that people say is amazing (like a Rick and a Stingray, both bad examples since they go for above $500), but not be happy with it. It happens.
  14. What was that quote? Uhh... something like:

One million rock and roll and motown songs can't be wrong...

Something like that... :meh:

Get the P-Bass.
  15. Peavey Millennium 5, they're around used in your price range. Surprisingly good instrument.
  16. stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    well while the esp ltd b-205 was not my first bass it is my current one, and... i could not be happyer. actully i paid $500 flat for my b-205before tax (tax sucks) i would say go for it if, you play with effects but, if you want to play a natural tone (as much as i hate to agree) go with the p-bass. (go with the 5 string thing will work out better if in the future if you pick it up now)

good look ;)