Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about what tube heads to check out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OrangeSun, Aug 14, 2005.

1. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    What kind of specs am I looking for on a tube head that can do the following:

Run an 1x15(8ohm) cab by itself
    Run a 210(4ohms?) and the same 1x15(8ohms) together

Any reccomendations for this? Currently, Ive got a SWR 1x15 that i will be running whatever head I end up getting through, then I'm hoping to get an Eden210 XLT or XST to also run with it as well. Ive never had a tube head before, but I've also never fully been satisfied with my sound, and I think some tube warmth is just the thing I need.

Also - I am not unwilling to try a half tube head, or tube preamp and power amp deal, like the Eden 550 or something.

Also, I'm not completely sure, but the Eden210 is a 4ohm cab right?

Thanks a lot!

2. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Im going to have at least 650 bucks, but probably closer to 700+.

3. The Eden D210XST and D210XLT both come in 4 or 8 ohms. The XLT cabinet has a low-mid bump, while the XST is flatter and deeper sounding, but a bit less efficient.

Two 8 ohm cabinets combined will give you a 4 ohm load, while an 8 and 4 ohm cabinet will give 2.67 ohms. AFAIK, most tube amps are rated at 8, 4 or 2, but not 2.67 ohms (although they should be okay with a mismatched 2.67 ohm load).

For transistor amps, you would need a 2 ohm rated amp to safely drive a 4 and 8 ohm cabinet (2.67 ohm load). An 8 ohm 2x10 might be a better choice to pair with the 8 ohm 15", for a 4 ohm total impedance.

My suggestion to would be to try out a number of different amps and see what sounds best to you. In itself, tube or solid-state doesn't really mean much. Rather, it is how the technology is used inside the amp. Play through everything you can!

What are you using presently, and what would you like to be different in the sound?

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Check out all the regular suspects

SVT's
    Mesa 400+/400 or D-180
    various Sunn amps
    Traynor (can't remember the model number)

If you're lucky and can find:
    Peavey Classic 400
    Trace Elliot V6, V8

If you're wealthy, the Phil Jones Bass tube head would be a nice grab.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1, and add the Eden VT-300, Aguilar DB 359 (great tone but not terribly loud) and Trace Valve series to the list.

And as mentioned above, a 2.67 ohm load is not ideal for a tube amp. A combined 4 ohm or 2 ohm load (in conjunction with a tube amp rated for said load) is recommended.

Tom.

6. most SVT's can only do 2 and 4 ohms i think, and isnt a higher impedance more dangerous than a lower impedance (with tube heads unlike SS amps?)

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yup.

8. so running the single 8 ohm cab would be a no-no :p

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Unless your head happens to have an 8 ohm setting (which many, but not all, do).

Tom.

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Note the Mesa Bass 400 can only go down to 4 ohms.

11. The Ampeg SVT can do 2 or 4 ohms.
    The Ampeg V4BH can do 4 or 8 ohms.

12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'd reccommend getting that eden 210 cab in 8ohms. That'll give you more flexability with heads. Especially if you go the hybrid route.

The Boogie 400+ seems to be the best bang for the buck. You can find alot of used ones for under $1000. Most of the other amps mentioned will probably run you more.

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I always forget the Eden, and thought about the Aguilar, but couldn't remember the model...are they still making the 359?

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Nope, the 359 is now history, along with the 728, and most recently, the 659. :bawl:

15. I just picked up a peavey alphabass for $200 Canadian, and don't laugh it's the best damned Peavey amp I've ever heard. I've never even heard of this amp untill 2 days ago, and I must say It's very similar to a mesa 400+.

I also recomend the Traynor Yba200, also a very affordable and sweet toned all-tube amp, very svt like for 1/3 the cost.

16. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    If you're going tube... I like the SWR stuff. You could probably pick up a good used SM-500 or SM-900 in that price range.

17. the traynor yba200****to burningskies.

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Right, but the 400+ can go to 2 ohms.

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Fer some reason those letters and numbers don't compute in my head and they just fade away...

20. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Neither of which is a 'tube amp', rather they're hybrids with a single 12AX7 for color.