Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about Yamaha RBX170

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Propyro, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Ok, i was in a guitar shop the other day and i got to spend some time trying out the said model of yamaha. Now one thing that was sort of annoying was that there were no lables on the nobs ... I'm used to my strat and how it has 2 mobs that say tone and one that says voulme.

I was kind of rushed out of the guitar shop before i could play my game of 20 questions with the sales person. Is there a pickup selector in these basses? because it has a P and j pickup. Well i only see 3 nobs ... so i'm guessing it's trebble volume, bass volume and master volume.

Dose anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to have a 3 way switch installed and wired so i can select the P, J or both pickups? It is possible right?

[/|\]

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The knobs are Neck-volume, bridge-volume, master tone. Most basses don't have pickup selector switches (mine does though). I think Rics also have them, but they aren't that useful or common on bass.

P.S. Stick all your questions to one thread, so you don't clutter up the forums.

3. ahh so in a way it dose have a pick up selector ... i could mute the volume for one pick up so i can use the other exclusivly ... ok so that would make a switch usless. And yes, Ric's do have a pickup selector.

thanks for the info, i was afraid this thread would have been a still birth ... and yea, i'll try to keep things to a minimum number of threads to avoid clutter.

[/|\]

4. T4b

T4b

Oct 9, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    Bit of a correction to make: The knobs are (from neck to bridge) master volume, pickup balance, and master tone. The pickup balance is more or less a pickup selector, but you can blend them together evenly, in different amounts or turn one off completely.

My RBX270 (one step up from a 170) has these controls, so I thought the 170 might be the same. I verified it on the yamaha website here.

5. Ahh thank you, stupid me ... should have looked ... i was thinking of it but lazines (and sleep deprivation) got the better of me. While i was at the guitar shop i tried out the model above yours, RBX370A. Unfortunatly i had to settle with playing it acoustic since i didn't have a 9v for teh active electronics ... which is probably a good thing for my wallet. It was a pretty nice bass IMO.

[/|\]