1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question after rehairing

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by northpaul, Feb 26, 2008.

1. northpaul

northpaul Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2006
    New Jersey, USA
    I just got my bow back from rehairing and had a question. It seems that the frog is a little further up the stick, maybe a quarter to half inch or so towards the grip. Is this normal?

There's not much room for where my thumb normally would go (between the frog and grip) so I will have to get used to it. The main thing I'm wondering is if this is ok and also maybe why this happened? Thanks for any info.

2. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Can the hair be loosened?

3. northpaul

Feb 4, 2006
    New Jersey, USA
    Yes, when it's loosened the frog is right next to the grip, maybe a couple mm between the frog and the grip.

After rosining it up and playing with it a bit it feels fine, just different now that my thumb doesn't have it's usual spot on the stick. This bow had very very old hair on it, so maybe it had stretched to where it was before it was rehaired?

4. Just has to do with the length of hair your luthier put on. Not being much of a French player I'm not familiar with the issue, but I'd think if in the future you were to specify a measurement your guy'd make adjustments, or at least try to get close to what you're used to. Other than feel, I don't think it'll change much, so long as there's enough slack to take tension off the stick.

5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Good advice...speaking from the other side, it's difficult to put hair in to a specific length, so telling your bow rehairer a measurement may not help. Let he/she know that you prefer to have some gap between the frog's underslide length and the wrap. Bass bows (especially French) have longer stick mortises than VvC bows, so they are a bit more forgiving when putting new hair on.

I am a bit surprised that the bow rehairer didn't leave a little extra length, though each bow is different: your mortise could be slightly longer, slightly more forward, or your wrap may be slightly back (relative to the frog). At any rate, just let them know your preference next time. Your current rehair should be okay as long as you can take all the tension out of the hair without having to actually remove the frog.

6. northpaul

Feb 4, 2006
    New Jersey, USA
    He did mention that the mortise was a bit long. Thanks both of you for the info and help.