Question: Ampeg SVT Classic with SWR 'Stella......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HamInChains, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Howdy!

Yes, I'm a newbie, but I just found this place!!
    I have a few questions for those of you that would be kind enough to answer:

I use an Ampeg SVT Classic head and I run an SWR Interstellar Overdrive as a pre-amp, bypassing the pre-amp on the Ampeg. I run from the "unbalanced line out" on the SWR into the "power amp in" on the Ampeg........... Is this the best way to do it? Do I have other options?

Does using the distortion from the 'Stella lower the life of the tubes in the Ampeg? If so, what options do I have, if any, to keep this from happening?

Lastly, I've heard that running a second cabinet out of the "speaker out" jack on the 'Stella brings out a better quality distortion tone, but it needs to be miked b/c it's not loud enough for gigs. What do you guys knwo about this? Is it a good/bad/retarded idea?

Thanks a lot and feel free to call be a stupid, whiny newbie, I can handle it ;)

2. hook me up with some info!!!
  3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Ok, you stupid whiny newbie :p

I don't think the tube life is shortened because of the distortion. The ampeg pre is capapble of putting out a lot of distortion as well so I imagine the power section can take it.

As to the speaker out on the IOD, you'd be getting the sound of the internal tube power section. Whether it's better or not would really be up to you.