Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question before buying new strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by In Flames, Mar 29, 2004.

1. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    I just bought a Spector Bass 4 string and joining a band this week who will be playing detuned guitars. Drop C to be exact (CGCFAD). Which will force me to play CGCF. MY question is which guage set of strings would give me the most tension and not be real sloppy. I will be playing in a fast paced hardcore band so if you can give me some ideas which strings would be best in my situation that would be great.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego

I'm aware of a couple of extra-heavy sets: GHS boomers come in .050-.115, and Ernie Ball Power Slinkys .055-.110. There are also plenty of .050-.110 sets available. I think .050-.110 might be borderline for that tuning. Just Strings offers singles, so you could assemble a set with whatever size strings you want (more or less). If I were doing that tuning, I'd probably try the big Boomers first, because of the .115 E (or C) string.

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I'd get a 5 string set and use the 130 B string as a 130 C string and on up from there.

4. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    Will the 130 gauge string fit on the nut?

5. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    And if I have to shave some of the nut for it to fit.. if later on down the road I wanna play with light strings.. Will I be able too? or will I be stuck with playing the larger guage for this basses life until a new nut is put on?

6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If you file the nut, you'll want to find a metal shim the same size as the distance between the bottom of the string and the top of the fretboard. This will keep you from making the slot any deeper while making it wider. I'd suggest a set of "feeler gauges" from an auto parts store. The should be inexpensive, and will provide the exact size you need.

JD

7. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    maybe you should consider a B-E-A-D tuning?

8. I e-mailed Rotosound recently about how long strings should last, and their reply included the comment that on their E and B strings, they were triple wound onto the core, and that as you stretch the core by tuning up, the core will reduce in thickness, ansd so the bond between core and winding will be weakened, and the string will sound dead faster.

My interpretation of that is that taking a string above its design tension will shorten its life.