1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question before lessons

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Jun 7, 2007.

1. I finally got in touch with a bass player who thankfully is willing to give me a few lessons.

I told him I'd been self taught for 10 years, knew I had some bad habits, and would like him to review my technique, maybe do some theory with him and learn some fretboard tapping which I remember him to be quite proficient at.

He surprised me by first saying yes (he doen't teach anymore), then by saying he didn't expect me to need more than 4 one hour lessons (at 25 bucks Australian a lesson, IOW cheap!).

He is going to give me some written material to go over as well as run me through "modes and stuff", as well as the tapping I asked about near the end.

I really appreciate him pushing his schedule aside for me (he's heavily in the Perth music scene, plays in an original act etc) and I was honestly taken aback by the 4 lesson assessment.

I guess I'm not really sure what to expect and perhaps somewhat concerned I might be wasting his time for very little money.

Any thoughts on approaching being taught for the first time, so I can make the most of it, are most welcome!

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Write down every question you have. Seriously. I know you'll feel like a dork doing that, but trust me, you'll forget something, and if this guy is giving you only 4 lessons, you'll want to make the most of all of them. Show him something that you can play well, and show him something that demonstrates the problems that you are asking about. Be prepared to answer questions about your goals and what you want to get out of bass playing.

Be prepared for lesson #2. Be able to play everything he talked about, OR have very specific questions about the problem that kept you from being able to play.

3. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Inactive

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    Screw Lessons, buy a book of scales, and make friends with a music education major.

4. trasser

trasser

Dec 13, 2005
    :eyebrow:

As said - with only 4 lessons, you need to have a goal with theese! And you have at least one, the tapping stuff you mentioned. But I'd advise you to really think about what your main "weaknesses" as a bass player is, and where you want to go.
    I don't think he'll be, like, teaching you one song or something like that, he is going to give you some stuff that you can really work with when you are done with the lessons. So, having a clear goal is important.

5. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Inactive

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    :eyebrow:

Im self taught and pretty damn good.

6. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Take notes during the lesson.

7. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston

Modest too...

:eek:

8. Thanks! It's with the intention of having him strip my problem areas away, as well as learn a specific technique that, unlike slapping and popping, really appeals to me (tapping).

In a way, thats what I am doing. He does not teach anymore and I am leveraging my fan status and friendly nature (stopping him in public to say Hi and reminisce) to maintain contact with what I consider to be a very valuable resource to both my playing, and in the Perth music scene in general.
    Selfish prat, aren't I :)

So am I. But I've been pretty good for too long (8 years, ask my missus), and I want to start getting better than that. I also want to stop just regurgitating music with little idea how or why, and want to start contributing something to music, and in Perth, bands are screaming for that type of personality, especially in the bass range!

Thanks for the advice guys it's all much appreciated.

9. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    You need self-criticism to get better.

10. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Translation: I'm unaware of how much I don't know.

11. Haha! So true.

"The more I learn, the less I know"

12. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I'm also about to take a few lessons after being self-taught for about 8 years. I finally got the opportunity to do so with a guy who I've seen play many times and whose playing I really admire, so I'm seeing this as a great opportunity.

My goal in this is simply to become a better player, in whatever ways he can help me to do so. I don't have many specific agenda items such as "teach me how to tap". Instead, I am hoping to let HIM define our plan as much as possible, based on his ideas about what will benefit me the most given where I am now. For example, he is interested in sitting down together and listening to some recordings of me playing with my (basement) band, and helping me break down and analyze my parts and suggest new ways to think about them and improve them. I'll also play some parts for him so he can watch my technique and offer suggestions about that, etc.

Neither of us is sure exactly where this approach will lead us, but it seems to both of us like a good way for me to get the most of what I really need, whether or not I know it or not.
    A good teacher not only can provide answers, but might be able to provide the best questions.

13. hey depth charge, do you mind name dropping who you are getting the lessons from? do so in a private msg if its a matter of privacy. just as a perthy, im trying to figure out who it might be!

14. Dan I haven't had a lesson with him yet but I'm hoping to be doing one in a fortnights time or so.

When I do, I will ask if he minds the name drop. If he is cool with it I'm happy to let you know.

I've even added your question to my lesson questions! ;)

15. hey mate
    im in perth as well and have been thinking about getting lessons and in the process of trying to find a teacher..
    Also self taught and pretty stuck (actually i suck)

and yes also curious about whos teaching you :)

16. Once I clear it with him I will tell the both of you! I promise.

But if you scoure my posts looking for some of my fave Perth bands it prolly won't be hard to work out, hint hint. Thats not me telling ya as such now is it thats just intelligent deduction ;)

Oh and get onto www.Perthbands.com they are screaming for bassists, just ignore this one prat called Smudge he'll just annoy ya :)

17. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Inactive

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    Ive been misinterepretted, Im aware I dont know everything. ALl Im saying is that lessons are bit of a rip off if your paying, because you can teach yourself just as effectively. ITs practice and experience that make you good, not lesssons. I also understand what Im doing, because I dont learn songs buy looking up tabs (This needs to stop btw), I actually understand the theory behind creating the music. Lastly Im not the only person that thinks Im good. I have a bit of a local reputation.

18. And toot toot, people think I'm good too. I play in a cover band and I think I'm pretty good. I can nail songs all over the place. And learn by ear given the time necessary. Toot toot D_C :rolleyes:

But I think I could be better. Both pyshically in my playing, and musically in my theory.

Now, would you please go start your own teacher bashing thread instead of hijacking mine?

Technically speaking if you read my 1st post he isn't really a teacher as such either - since offering me lessons above and beyond his hectic music biz schedule and all, on the side, on the cheap, as a favour to a loyal fan of one of his earlier bands!

Thanks!

19. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Inactive

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    Chill dude Im not breaking ya balls. Just saying that Im a very proud self taught bassist. Why is it that everytime somebody says they are good they get branded as a jerk. If your good there is nothing wrong with saying so.

20. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    So if you've never had lessons how did you come to this conclusion?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021