Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question bout J basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by --Wang--, Dec 30, 2001.

1. I want to go out and get a Jazz bass for my birthday next month, but I'm kind of torn.

My local music shop sells the Fender Mexi Standard J-bass for $579 CDN, and a Squire std Jazz for $419.

I tried them both out on the same amp, and they sounded pretty close to the same. I've heard that the poplar that the Fender body is made of is crap, and that even the Agathis of the Squier would be better.

Also, are the pickups and electronics the same on both? Is it worth that extra hundred something bucks for the Fender?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. are those prices including taxes??? that would be VERY expensive without tax...

3. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    I got my MIM Jazz for 435$ Canadian AFTER tax.

I upraged mine:
    - Red Tortoise Shell Pickguard
    - Badass II Jazz Bridge
    - Seymour Duncan SJB-1 Vintage Pickups

Its a great bass. :cool: ;)

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Squire's are nothing compared to the real fender MIM's. the pickups are better in the new ones, and poplar isnt crap. its a stupid thing people who think they are smart say. its not CRAP. its a decent wood. and wood doesnt make as much a diffrence in tone as pickups, preamp, and amp do. i wouldnt worry about that to much. heck, i would spring the extra money just for it to say Fender on the headstock. And if thats the prices your getting american, your getting screwed buddy. i talked my salesman down to 310-320 on a 2000 model MIM p-bass. the new ones are a BIT more expensve (because of the better pickups.). but not that much.

5. Hey, Lemonadeisgood, where in Canada are you from?

Thx for the warning about the prices, I think I'll look around a little more. Those prices are pre-tax.

Anyone else have help between my Fender and Squier delema?

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    hahaha.......Im sorry, but when i read that, it makes me laugh. i mean......Squier, fender........

7. Oh, one other thing:

Any Canadian bassists out there, if you could post the price that you paid for a MIM standard J bass, it would help a lot

8. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Wang, I live in Toronto. I guess i'm lucky since Toronto has a crap-load of music stores. :p

You should be prepared to do some traveling if your looking for a good deal. Dont forget to consider used too. ;)

9. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    ARE U NUTS!??!?!?

10. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    I'm with SkaFreak on the wood thing. How can you possibly say that "wood doesnt make as much a diffrence in tone as pickups, preamp, and amp do"??? I'm confused......

11. I picked up a MIM Jazz used. 2 years old. Excelent condition. In fact it's for sale. From what I heard around the campfire, is most people prefer the mexican jazz over the american. Dunno why. I like it very much, but I just can't put down my Stingray long enough to play it.

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    No, im not nuts. wood is not as important as preamp, pickups, and amp. Its the truth. oh ya. and a new pair of strings.

13. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I still have to disagree with you on this still. The acoustic quality of the wood makes the sound. If the acoustic quality of the wood is good, the no matter what electronics you put in there its gonna sound good. If it is a poor acoutical tone no matter what electronics it will sound bad. The top luthiers agree with this too. Go ask Roger Sadowsky.

14. Sorry guys, Polly is right. Wood does have a certain amount of influence on the tone, but not nearly as much as the pickups and electronics. Top luthiers use fancy woods because they look cool. AAAAA flame maple does'nt sound any better than AA. I have proved this time and time again with my penchant for collecting basses and swapping pups and preamps. Sure Michael Tobias can hear the difference between one body and another, he's an expert, and it's his job. But that difference dont matter squat when your bands cranked up, you're fighting to be heard above a miked-up panel-beater of a drummer, and your amp only goes to 10!

15. $500 post-tax, for a MIM fretless Jazz

FF

16. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    **** WARNING ****

What follows is merely one person's opinion. Your own will most certainly vary...

The wood, (body, neck, and fingerboard), of the bass is very important to the instruments tone... But, I think that it has been maybe a tad over-rated and given some mystical, zen-like significance. It's true that a bass with a wonderful un-amplified tone is easier to get sounding better when amplified. However, it is also true that quality electronics are required to get the most from any instrument. I've upgraded many basses, and like Marty, have found good electronics to be vital. A case in point, if you will...

My Cheesy Assed Hondo P-Bass copy... with the wonderful 'million ply' plywood body. If ever there was a turd, this is it. Anywho, after upgrading the pickup only, (no pots, capacitor, strings, nothing else), to a Fender 'Original '62 P-Bass Pickup'... This nasty Hondo sounds convincingly like my '97 American P-Bass. Not identical, mind you. I CAN hear the difference when I am playing alone, but it's pretty subtle. On a gig it sounds great. This bass sounded fairly lame before the replacement and fell flat on it's face during it's only pre-upgrade gig appearance. As far as I'm concerned, ain't nothing crazy in what Polly and Marty are saying... Well, maybe that pre-amp thing, but I'm a passive kinda guy :D

'Nuff with the off-topic :) As far as the Fender/Squier debate... the Fender will undoubtedly have a higher resale value should you choose to part with it.

Good Luck Wang!

-robert

17. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    One thing to note is that a setup will only sound as good as it's weakest link - so even if you have the nicest wood that money can buy, putting poor electronics in it will still make it sound poorly. A nice body wood cannot makeup for microphonic pickups or those of otherwise poor quality. It is an electric instrument after all. I agree with Pollybass and Marty. Yes, the wood does make a difference, but it's not the huge difference that some people think it is. Also, going back to the weakest part thing, just think if you have a poor cable, then you'll have poor sound and the same goes if you have a poor amp; no matter what bass you use. An example might be buying an Eden 2x12" cabinent and then replacing the speakers with guitar speakers - you'd have a really nice cabinent, but the speakers would be detracting from it's overall quality (though yes, I know that some people actually like to use guitar speakers for bass :) ).

Unless you are buying used, get the Fender - it has a lifetime warranty. My opinion.

18. pre tax you should look for around the 450 canadian mark....... 20 bux here or there is not too much to worry about..

19. Long and McQuade sells it for around 400