1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

question bout p and pj bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zymeth, Dec 16, 2006.

1. zymeth

zymeth

Dec 10, 2006
    aberdeen nj
    absolutely no ofense to p users cuz im just wondering y p users wouldnt go with the pj? do they sound difrent? if u turn the j pickup all the way dont doesnt that make it a regular p? or does it still sound difrent than just a regular p? thanks guys!

2. Some of us bought our P-basses in the olden days (pre-Fralin, pre-Nordstrand, etc.), before P-J combinations existed. Our only alternative--short of performing surgery on a valued instrument--was to buy another bass, perhaps in a different finish, perhaps with a different fingerboard, perhaps with different hardware, etc. It was really a hardship.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Some of us love the straight P-bass for its minimalist perfection. It's everything you need, nothing you don't, and prevents any untoward, fussy, knob-twiddling nonsense. It's the antidote for all bass-related b.s. (I still have GAS for a P/J Dingwall though. ;) )

4. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Precision Bass is so perfect the way it is...

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I've been plaing P basses for 25+ years, and have not needed or even wanted a J p/u in the bridge position yet. I don't imagine I ever will either.

6. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Two volume controls means a lower overal impedance for your signal going to the amp regadless if the control is panned all the way right or left. Some say this is why a P-bass and a PJ sound different.

I built both a PJ and a replica of a 1957 P - the 57 sound so much better in my opinion. But I attribute that to other factors.

7. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I've owned a couple of PJ's and never a P. But until my current bass, I don't think I ever even turned the J pickup on. I only do now because I have a G&L P pickup and the blend of the two is sort of cool (with the J bridge pickup on only about 1/4). By and large, if I wanted a Jazz bass, I'd buy one. ;)