question bout the theory behind slap and pop

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fr0me0, Oct 24, 2005.

1. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    ok I didn't put this in technique cause i'm not asking how to slap and pop but what to slap and pop. I'm playing in a University jazz band and we are doing the song birdland.

For the solo at 80 the director said it would be cool If i could do some slap and pop. I've done some slap and pop but never really written any so I can handle the how but I'm having some trouble with the what.

I know jazz isn't about rules and guidelines but I don't wanna get up in front of a couple hundred people and have people think, what the **** is he doin. I also want it to sound good. So i was wondering if some people could give me some pointers on where to start or what to play around with. I was thinking bout slapping the f and poping the f octave, but if anyone has some general suggestions they'd be appreciated.

2. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    The most typical thing to do is slap a bass note and pop the octave. That would get boring if you keep doing that, though. I'd take a pentatonic and start working with that. Start thinking rhythmacally. Throw in a bunch of mutes and see if you can come up with something interesting just like that. I'd also throw some rolling hammer-on triplets in the bass notes, and maybe some slides. Also remember hammer-ons and pull-offs in the pops sometimes. I'd take your bass and do nothing but slap for a while to try and get into the feel of it, it's how it worked for me.
  3. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    I would suggest Not to Slap in that tune. You might regret it.
    It is such an icon in bass playing. If you never slap as well before it will be a total desaster. Work out a nice melodic solo instead.
    In my point of view,
    Good luck,
  4. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Looking at your question from a wider perspective (ie not just in the case of that tune) I think the answer is the same for slap as it is for playing with your fingers or with a pick; play something good! I don't mean that to sound trite, I mean that whatever technique you are using, if you're playing something that grooves, that fits the tune, something that your puting some of your self into, then it's going to sound good. If you play something souless it's going to sound bad, regardless of the technique you adopted. So don't worry so much about what technique you're going to use, focus on what you want to contribute to the tune (as you usually do?) and play what feels good to you, slapped or whatever. Hope that helps.
  5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Looking at the written line it's seems like just one chord, some kind of F, possibly Fmin6. You can play bar 80 and 81 and slap over 82 and 83 to give the solo some flavor and use the same formula for the next 8 bars and then you hit the repeating descending pattern notated.
  6. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    That chart is lame. Are there any big-band charts for that tune that at least nod to the original orchestration and the groundbreaking role that the piece played for our instrument?

The tecnhinque in the intro is not any more difficult than some of the lines written in the part anyway. I would have given the synth bass intro to the bari-sax and/or trombones(they would love it) and the original bass part (melody) to the bassist.

Anyway good luck with the bass solo. If I were you I would listen to some of Jaco's solos on that album "Heavy Weather" for inspiration.