1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question concerning my amp and effects pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassNStrings, Jun 17, 2014.

1. BassNStrings

BassNStrings

Jul 15, 2013
    Hello all,
    I recently purchased a Peavey 100 watt amp. I am just starting out so for my needs this is perfect for practicing in the bedroom and jamming with a guitarist buddy in the garage. For the record, my amp settings are as follows,
    gain - 6
    bass - 5
    mid -8
    treble - 7
    volume - 6

Sound is good and strong, no hissing or feedback. Now my problem,
    I have a BOSS Dynamic Wah pedal. When I activate the pedal, I can hear a very audible wind like wooshing sound coming through the amp. Adjusting the pedal's dials can lessen it but the wind sounds are still there. I have looked at other threads for help and guidance but nothing seems to work. I am a noob so I will ask this question, do you need to have an amp of a specific wattage in order for the pedals to work or is it a matter of adjusting the amp knobs once the pedal is activated? Should I look at getting a noise suppressing pedal to aleviate this issue. I thank you all for any suggestions and knowledge you can give me.

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    No, you don't need any specific amp. It sounds to me like there is something wrong with the wah or it's just not the sound you're looking for in a bass wah.

3. BassNStrings

BassNStrings

Jul 15, 2013
    Good to know that there is no set wattage for pedals. I was messing around with the pedals knob settings and ended up tweaking the setting on the amp as well. I was able to minimize that wind woosh sound but in doing so I feel I muddied the output sound to such a degree that it wasn't even worth keeping the peddle activated. I'm still fumbling my way through all the nuances but will check back here for more guidance. Much appreciated to all.

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    if your amp sounds find, there's nothing wrong with your amp. However if something's wrong with your wah pedal, you should buy a new one. The Dunlop and Morley wah pedals are the standard choices. If want something different, check out the rocktron black cat moan. This wah pedal is fairly versatile and it has a built-in distortion effect for doing bass solos. It can give you that cliff burton sound.

5. BassNStrings

BassNStrings

Jul 15, 2013
    I will look into the Dunlop and Morley pedals. Thank you! As an aside, I am looking at getting a limiter pedal. I was looking at the BOSS LMB-3 but if there is another that this community thinks may be better in performance I will look into it as well.

6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    The dynamic wah is an auto-wah/envelope filter if I am not mistaken. So I would guess that what you are hearing is the effect that is engaged but without a signal to filter if you will. Some envelope filters can be pretty noisy. And they can be touchy to get them to sound right.

I would mess around with it. A few things that can help - I find that they like pretty hot signals but not necessarily the hottest. For example - my Mu-Tron likes the volume knobs on my bass at about 70%. I also find that it works better with a compressor before it.

I hope that helps.

7. BassNStrings

BassNStrings

Jul 15, 2013
    Indeed. I have found some threads on here dealing with compressors that I am reviewing. I'm in the pricerange for either the BOSS limiter or the BBE orange sqeeze. Something to aid me in my practicing. I'm hoping that having a compressor might do the trick or alleviate that extra sound somehow. Thanks for the amp tips.

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I really wouldn't worry about compressors or limiters at this point in the game if I were you. Just practice as much as you can and work on your technique.

Mosfed likes this.