Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question concerning Neal Peart

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lovebown, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Ok, Rush drummer, anyone know if he uses classic grip (left hand stick over ring/pinkie) or "rock" grip ?

Just outta curiosity,
    /lovebown

2. He used to use matched grip but a few years back, if memory serves me, he went through a period of redefining his playing and started using traditional grip. The last time I saw him play he was using both, but mostly trad. :)

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Started out ( for years ) with matched grip, now playes traditional grip, with both butt ends of the sticks.

4. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    err matched grip = holding both sticks "normal"?
    /lovebown

5. Yes lovebrown, matched grip is holding the sticks both the same, traditional is holding the left hand stick between thumb and first finger, kind of hard to explain, traditional grip is usually what you see in marching bands.
    According to Pearts vidio "a work in progress", he used matched grip for many years, then switched to traditional after taking lessons from freddie gruber in about 1994. In the vidio he uses trad grip exclusivley.
    what he uses today is anybodys guess, but I would say traditional, he just seems like the kind of guy that would stick to a change like that.

eddie

6. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    K thanks, its LOVEBOWN though.
    /lovebown

7. oops..sorry there LOVEBOWN, didnt have my glasses on when I answered your post.
    By the way, why the interest in Neils drummin' anyway.?

eddie

8. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    It's because I play the drums myself. And his **** scares me and Im just wondering if its possible to play without traditional grip.

/lovebown

9. Lovebown, I understand were you are coming from, I too am a drummer...dont tell anyone on this board....and have been inspired by Neils drumming. It is possible to do all he does with matched grip since he has done it for many years himself. Many other drummers use matched also. Myself I learned with traditional, and use it a lot, but also switch to matched when I feel like it for the song.
    Havent been practicing lately as I have been putting as much time in on the bass as I can.

eddie