Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question: Do I suck, or not?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Zaelef, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Zaelef

Zaelef

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm pretty much a bass newbie; playing for 3 months or so, and I was wondering, what sort of stuff should I be playing at my level of skill? I play with my fingers, and a couple things I can play are:

Journey to the End of the East Bay - Rancid
    Schism - Tool
    Rapper's Delight - Sugar Hill Gang (odd choice, yeah, but it's got a nice bass line...)
    and a bunch of Phish stuff I won't bother to mention.

Anyway, is this alright for the length of time I've been playing? I'm working on the bass solo from Axiom right now...

2. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i wouldn't say suck. three months isn't long, but its long enough to get something going. hell, most people that decide to play an instrument quit long before that.

when i first started, all i did was learn dozens and dozens of covers for months. that's cool and all, but the next best step you can take is understanding what it is you're playing, and that means:

theory.

its a bitch at first, like learning a new language, but ultimately very rewarding. in particular, if you're a big phish fan, try to figure out why mike gordon is playing what he does behind trey's guitar parts, rather than just the what. they're masters of improv, and that can only sharpen your skills.

best of luck, and on to richer rewards.

3. Get a teacher. Take lessons. Have a professional evaluate your playing.

And welcome to the wonderful world of bass guitar.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I can't comment on if you suck at playing bass or not because I can't heat or see ou play.

I can say you suck at talkbass because this thread has nothing to do with basses. I'd say Misc would be a much better place for this thread. :)

5. Personally, I wouldn't waste your time worrying about whether or not you "suck." Just have fun with it and keep practicing!

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wrong forum. THis one is about basses.

Moved to Misc.

7. Agreed....altho i suk i just trapped my finger in the door:mad:

8. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    Don't take lessons or study theory, it'll just force you to conform to everything that's been done in the past.
    True creativity comes from doing your own thing, not what looks good on paper.

9. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Take lessons. One of the best choices you can ever make. I was playing for about a year before I got lessons. I learned proper hand postitioning and things that will KEEP me playing bass. If you have a bad hand position you can damage your wrist and you eventually have to take lessons or else you will not be playing much longer.
    PEACE!

10. Zaelef

Zaelef

Aug 9, 2002
    Thanks, guys, you've all been a big help. Agreeing with HardRockZombie, I've actually had more fun doing my own thing than bothering with theory. I never really saw the benefits of learning, but, before I'm assaulted by flames, I'll ask somebody to enlighten me. The only obvious things (to me) is finding which notes sound well together, and which don't (which could be helpful in making solos) ...and maybe naturals, and non-naturals, depending on the music. Am I missing something that's painfully needed?

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm sure Miles Davis (and any other ground breaking Jazz player) was orginal because he doesn't understand any theory.

Nothing wrong with not knowing heeps of theory but this has to be the most ingnorant and uniformed post I've ever read at TB.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Tell that to all of the great classical composers, and people like Jaco, Miles Davis, etc.

13. Don't put strings on your bass. Strings stifle your creativity.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's almost as silly as saying:

"Don't go to school or learn to read/write english (*your language here), it'll just force you to conform to the English language* & that's been done in the past."

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    there's something very "tabcrawlerish" about this thread...

meh... i'll avoid this one

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

wow.

i have been just been rendered speechless.

17. I was thinking the same.

18. Zen and The Art of Bass Playing.

What is the sound of no strings slapping?

19. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    For those not blessed with a congenital brain defect, ignorance and laziness are the only keys to creativity. Any moron knows that.

Don't let anyone fool you. Choose stupidity.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Lump, you are my hero.