Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question, Eden and Reliability

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Toasted, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    First of all let me state: "I know Harmony Central reviews are generally crap"

I live in the UK and got my hands on some Eden gear for the first time yesterday (metro combo), and what a sound! im going to try and go back to The Bass Centre in manchester sometime over the next few days with my bass.

what is YOUR experience with eden reliability?

ive head alot of people saying theirs died frequently, or the horns blew etc etc, but i trust u guys more than i trust ananymous reviews.

2. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    The church I play in has an Eden WT300 head and Eden 210 cabinet that is almost 3 years old and we have not had one single problem. It's been pushed hard too. It's a little underpowered for us, so it gets pushed as hard as it can most of the time. The speakers still sound good, and the horn in the 210 cabinet is very loud!

3. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    As long as the output limit lights on my Wt-800 arnt lighting up its fine, and as for the tweeters, they light up read through the ports when they are pushed too hard.

4. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I've got an Eden WT550 and a pair of 4-ohm D210XSTs that I'm pretty rough on, and they've performed absolutely flawlessly. Personally, I love em'!

5. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Thats a nice little setup you've got there mjw.

The 550 is definitely going to be my next head. For modern sounding finger funk its unbeatable imo(not that ive played one in a live situation though:meh: )

Mjw, how does it go running at 2ohms?? ....I always hear "dont run an amp at 2ohms, even if the specs say you can". But in your experience with the 550, does running it at 2ohms sound ok? have you ever run it at 2ohms for 3-5 hours? and lastly, any overheating troubles when running it for long periods at 2ohms?

Sorry for the earbashing, and hijack. Its just that im dead keen on getting one of these badboys

cheers

6. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Funny you should say that.......

Because, when I first bought this rig and was reading the WT550 manual, I read "the total speaker-system impedance should not exceed 4 ohms."

So I'm thinking that since the cabs are 4 ohms each, I should probably connect them in parallel, for a total of 2 ohms. Otherwise, in series I'd have 8, right? (aaahhhhh.... never could get this impedance stuff down......) :)

Anyway, I mentioned this to Gard, who called David Nordschow, who was amused that I discovered a typo in the WT550 docs. David assured me that the WT550 is indeed a 2 ohm rated amp.

But to answer your question, I've never had *any* overheating problems with mine, and I occasionally have things too close to the fan and/or obstructing the vent holes (David, you're not reading this, right? ;) ) ...... oh well.... what warranty....?!?!?) ;)

And yes, mine has seen hours and hours of "uptime" without fail. In fact, in my studio, I occasionally forget to turn it off and it idles all night as well. (Could be Capt. Morgan's fault, but who can say, really? :) )

Anyway, the head has a fan that kicks in at about 130 degrees F., and it's definately not running 24x7 so that kinda says something.

And if things get *really* hot (like they do here in Texas) there's some kind of built-in thermal safety system that "turns the system down as needed" in the event of overheating, until things cool down. I've never experienced that, but then again, I rarely play outside unless it's at night.

Bottom line though, is that IMHO, this Eden gear is great.

I can't see how you'd go wrong with the Eden gear.

7. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    cheers, thanks for the info man.

Sounds tidy, but now you've got me even more keen for it:spit:

*hides wallet from self*

8. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA

Crikey! My WIFE usually hides *my* wallet! :)

Cheers!

9. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Never seen a dead one.....as far as I know they are very reliable.

Ummm.....they sound pretty darn good too, doesn't sound like much of a problem....go for it.

10. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    "notanaggie"...? By any chance.... RU down south near me? ;)

11. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    the thermo shutdown literly shuts down your amp untill it reaches a safe temp.

btw, when it clipped it was running two 4ohm 4x10 xlt's off of each side of the wt800 at full volume with the eq set pretty heavy, but the output limit lights were on almost constantly

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey Toastedweed,

I've been on Talkbass for well over three years, and I haven't seen very many subtantiated complaints about Eden, as with some of the other brands. Most people who are down on Eden don't have problems with reliability, it's most often because the Eden tone does not suit their taste.

I just bought a wt-550 today, and I'm looking forward to using it at rehearsal and a gig next week (Thank You Gard!).

13. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I've been using Eden amps for around 9 years and have owned several different pieces from them including a couple of Navigator's, a WT400, WT 1000, 410XLT's, 210XLT's, 212XLT's, 210XST's, and a Metro. I've never had a problem. I also manage a music store that deals Eden and have sold ton's of it without even one piece coming back. That's pretty strong. I'm sure there have been problems, that's normal, but on the whole Eden is very reliable. If you like the tone, which I do, you can't go wrong with it.

14. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    first, let me say that i love my navigator.

next, comes the part where i say that i was on stage, at our cd release show, and nothing came out of my amp! i had to use a little gk head from one of the opening bands. it sucked, bad timing, made me want to chuck it down the stairs at the hi-pointe!

but, i did get it fixed under warranty, plus "upgraded per eden's new specs"? whatever that means, it sounds great still, but one more screw up and i'm afraid it will become trade bait. i NEED something reliable.

dave

15. My WT600 made in 1997 had a scratchy gain pot, and the thermal switch (activates the fan) replaced recently. This amp gigs nearly every weekend. Prior owner used it in church every week.

The repair tech informed me that Eden gear, compared to other makes that he has fixed, is very well-constructed inside. FWIW

16. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Eden WT 550 fan and overheating...

I borrowed one tonight for a rehearsal while waiting for my Thunderfunk 550A to arrive tomorrow and it sounded great!!! I set it flat and it was fine.

About an hour in to rehearsing, the fan turns on and is so loud and obnoxious abd it was so hot to the touch; it was embarrasing...

I just sold my Walter Woods after 19 years of bliss and this 2 month old amp is crapping out!!!

My friend bought from The Bass Centre in Sherman Oaks, CA and told them of the problem and they ignored it!!!

Im calling the Eden rep when I get to work tomorrow, cuz this aint right!!!

Anyone else deal with this stuff with Eden???

17. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I bought a brand new in the box Eden WT550 about a year ago from Sam Ash. I've run it all night long at 2 ohms without any problems, with the exception of the first night that i used it at a gig. It thermalled and shut down so i had to use a backup that night.

upon inspection at home, when i removed the top cover, i noticed that a wiring harness was touching a fan blade and was keeping it from turning. i used a nylon zip tie to keep the harness well away from the fan and never had a problem with it since. Personally I think that they sound pretty good for a solid state amp, and their build quality is decent.

LowBsix,
    If your fan is making a racket, check to see if there is something rubbing against it. Mine isn't silent, but it's not all that loud and you can't hear it when the band is playing, and it isn't even running most of the time.

18. Started with the metro combo in the mid 90's and loved it. I had some minor back issues and the combo became a little difficult to move so I traded towards the WT400 & 210XLT and have since added a 112XLT. I have run this rig in every possible situation and have never experienced a problem. Only amazing tone!!!

19. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    My experience:
    Just got a WT550 and haven't pushed it hard yet, but will have a 2.7 Ohm setup soon.

Had a WT390 (predecessor of the 405-came in the 112xlt "signature limited edition series" combo) that I beat the royal crap out of. Cranked the li'l 1x12 to keep up with a loud drummer. Looooooved that head/cab. I eventually traded it to a friend in exchange for some work on my house. He's still gigging it. I got the WT550 for the extra power, not the tube preamp. I really believe the 405 is one of the best heads out there. Further, the Nemesis heads are VERY similar to the 405, and the discontinued Nemesis 650 is virtually a larger copy of it and can be had for a song on ebay, new in box for under 600 USD.

Personally I've had zero reliability issues.

20. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Woo, thread necro :)