Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question - Fender Precision 1968

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by uncledad2002, Mar 11, 2004.

1. uncledad2002

uncledad2002

Mar 11, 2004
    I have a quick question on how to distinguish what year a fender precision bass is from. I have an opportunity to get a 1968 fender precision (or so I am told), but when I went to see it; it really doesn't look like a 1968 fender precision to me - - not that I am an expert. It's got active pickups and looks way too "new" to be almost 40 years old.

Is there a way to tell from the serial number what year it was manufactured?

Thanks.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I saw an ad from a reputable store here in town for a '62 P bass. The price looked too good but I went to look at it. It was a '62 reissue P.

I found this link useful:
    http://www.rexc.com/services/datingfender.htm

3. Take off the neck. The date should be stamped on the end of the neck. I'm not sure if they still do that, but mine is stamped Dec. 5, 1963 and they were probably still doing it in 1968. Our guitar player used to have a '57 strat - back then they were still writing the date in pencil.