Question:Fixing cracks

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by LeftyFenderJazz, Sep 14, 2002.

1. I have noticed several ways Uprights have had cracks fixed in them.

One where the crack closed up and then glued.

And where the above is used along with a patch glued on inside of the bass.

Obviously both approached work and the second being the strongest where and when its a critical spot that glue alone wont hold.

My question is this, and I know its a originality vs functionality one:
    Do patches on the inside of a Upright's body detrack from a uprights overall vintage value and or sound quality?
  2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Lots of people ask if adding wood during a repair job will "hurt" or devalue an instrument. 95% of the time I'd say NO. Cleats are an important part of repairing a crack. Open cracks are what devalue instruments, not closed ones. The only reason Strads, Guaneris, and Amatis (old, expensive instruments) have made it to A.D. 2002 is from extensive repairs and restorations. Sometimes they are chock-full of new wood.
    If you need a crack fixed, GET IT FIXED! If you can't afford to have the top removed and cleats installed, at least get the crack closed.
  3. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I've noticed a 2" crack on the side near the lower bout. Until I can take the bass to a Luther is it adviseable to apply tape or anything else? I'm thinking I should somehow strengthen or preserve it in the meantime.

Thanks for any info.
  4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    "2 inch crack on the side near the lower bout"

So, the crack is on the rib? Unless the crack is flapping around in the breeze (and prone to catching your clothing or bass bag), leave it until a luthier can close it up, or at least put some hide glue in there.

The only tape I've seen work w/out varnish damage is safety release painter's tape....