1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for 5 string users and Hipshot Xtender users too

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jfh2424, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Hi guys, I love the Hipshot, it allows me to tune down to D and B too.

I have owned a 5 string, but this was years ago. I was not quite as proficient as I am now on bass.

When I use the Hipshot, I notice that the low notes (those below E) are louder in the mix than the notes above E. It's ok, I've learned to deal with it by changing my technique when going low so it is dealable.

But I wonder, is this a function of the Hipshot product? Or is this because when you go that low, notes tend to stick out anyway because of the actual range that you are playing in?

Do 5 string players also experience this? Do other Hipshot Xtender players too?

Thanks!

John

2. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    Notes played on my B string are louder than say, an open E. If I play E on the B string, it is louder. Just a thicker more massive string.

3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I have a Hipshot Xtender installed on a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz (MIM). I don’t notice any change when engaging the Xtender, but the onboard EQ could be masking or compensating.

4. Reggie Hamilton

Reggie Hamilton

Jan 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    FMIC, Fodera, A Designs Audio, Dunlop, T-Rex, Pearlman Mics, Fishman
    Um..... What I do notice is that the fundamental E rings truer when the Hipshot is activated. For me, I attribute it to the fact the harmonics of the low "A" don't have the phasing issue with the "E" string as would a "B" string. For me, I've noticed the same on a five string doublebass when I tune the "B" down to "A" or leave it at "C". My 2¢.

5. Thanks for the response guys. Anyone else?

John