Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Aguilar GS112 owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry Ziarko, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    After reading much info on this cabinet on this site as well as the review in BP, I decided to find out for myself what the buzz is all about. Since I use IEM's about 90% of the time, I want to put together a kick butt little rig that is portable, sounds good, and is reasonably priced. With that being said, I purchased a GS112. Now I have read some prefer one, some two. Others say give them tons of power, yet others say you don't need it. Well today I got my cabinet, and decided to give it a work out. Since I have sold my high power amps due to lack of need, the only thing left is a trusty old GK 400RB. I plugged in getting ready to hear this deep buttery tone, but to be perfectly honest it sounded anemic and very ordinary. First thing I conclude is, since my GK is only about 120w or so at 8om, I need to get it down to 4om to give it a bit more umph. I drag out an Eden 210 XLT and combine the two. I will say together they did sound much better, but still I'm not totaly enthralled. Carrying around the 210 to gigs to me is not a viable option. The box is a bit on the heavy side and very hard to get down my narrow basement stairs. This leads me to the heart of my question for you owners. Did two of the GS112's sound quite different than one, or was it just more of the same, but louder? Also, being that 200w is a bit on the weak side, how much do you actually feel is necessary to get the most out of this (these) boxes? I am willing to get another box and or amp if it will make that much of a difference. I feel the portability of the GS adds to it's mystique.(very easy to carry) However if the overall response doesn't point in a favorable direction, I'll probably sell the one I have and try another option. Thank you for any help with my question.

2. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I was powering it with a GK 700rb. I couldn't get rid of a nasal sound quality that I heard, no matter how I tweaked the amp. Plus, a single cab couldn't keep up with a drummer and 2 guitars, who weren't all that loud. I tried all the other Aguilar cabs with the GK and they all sounded thin and honky. Maybe GK and Aguilar are just not a good match.

3. I am running (2) GS112's with an Alembic F1X pre and a Stewart PA1000. These cabs sound just how I likes 'em. They do, in fact, have that 'scooped' sound.
    One cab sounds fine, but that is about it. Just fine. Two cabs, on the otherhand, sound thick. For the sound levels I require (blues/jazz), the rig does the job!

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Epifani 2x10 ultralite. Smaller than your xlt, about half the
    weight. (38lbs) Killer sound! Not as scooped as the
    aguillar or swr. Not as colored sounding as the Eden xlt.
    (I like the xlt sound) Sort of a swiss army knife type box.
    As much as I love GK, The 400rb just lacks power and
    headroom. I think the 700rb II and the Epi 2x10 UL. Sweet!

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    First of all Jerry, let me just tell you that the following are just my experiences, and in no way do I claim to be an expert at anything. I love my GS112(s). I own two and I love them to death. They were exactly the sound I was looking for and they were the sound that has continued to prove useful and versatile for me. A lot of the sound that the GS112(s) produce have to do with the Bass and the Amplifier that you are running them through. For example, my Lakland's sound completely different than my Cirrus 6. And I notice a huge difference there. Second of all, the GS112(s) really sound different depending on the room that you are in. I played with them in my room and they sound spectacular. I've played with them at my Rehersal Space with one of my bands and a GS112 more than holds it own against my guitarist and drummer, and sounds phenominal. But in one particular case, I was playing in a room with what I percieved to be really bad acoustics, and for me the GS112 didn't cut it. It just sounded bad, but it was probably due to the room. So try a change of rooms and I think it may be better. The other thing i've noticed is that the sound differs with the GS112 depending on where you stand in the room. What the GS112 sounds like while standing right next to it or with your back to it a few feet away sounds worlds different than when you are playing facing the cab standing 15 feet away. So take that into account as well. The last thing that I've noticed is that the GS112 sounds better with more headroom. In my opinion, the more clean power you can pump into the thing, the better. I won't pretend to have any experiences with GK amps and yours in particular, however speaking for the MESA MPULSE Series and my Aguilar DB659/QSC PLX1602 Rig, I can say that in both cases these amps sound phenominal with either 1 GS112 or 2 GS112s. I don't notice any significant difference when adding the second cab in terms of tone and sound that can't already be attributed to what I've said above. I chose to get the GS112 because I felt it was portable and provided excellent sound for what I want to do with my bass playing. I went to GELB Music and tried out as many different company amps as I could with the GS112's and I discovered that for my tastes with my choice in basses, the Aguilar GS series amps sound best with Mesa and Aguilar products (at least with what they had at gelb and Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz, CA). Aguilar naturally probably tunes their cabs more for their amps, so it isn't a big surprise why it sounds good with their amps, but MESA seems to have it down with the Aguilar Cabs. I walked into Gelb wanting to get a Eden WT-550, but using my ears and after trying out the SWRS there, the Ampegs there, and Mesas and Aguilars, I chose the latter two in time. So my advice to make a long story short.

1.) Try Different basses with your current setup
    2.) Try Different standing positions in your room
    3.) Try Different Rooms with different acoustics
    4.) Try Different Amps (You may be able to accomplish this by going to a music store that carries Aguilar products).

Hope this helps.

-Poon

6. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I wanted to read this and gave up. Paragraphs please! Thx.

7. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    it wasn't so bad, no need for the big font though :p

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Might that be the GK, :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I love my Ag's, granted I'm powering 2 of them with a Crown 1100 watt (bridged mono in to 4ohms) amp and a tube V-Type Pre...

I ended up getting that deep buttery tone, little scooped, but meaty just like I like it.

9. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    LOL I thought no one would spot my message under all that blocked text! :D

10. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would have hoped reading would be a skill most of us would have by now. Especially since demographic studies of musicians have shown that bassists are often times the most educated amongsts typical "band musicians". Okay i made that up, but it's been true in my experience. :D

11. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    First off, thanks to all who have replied so far. AND Poon, not only did I appreciate your post, (as some of you know by now I tend to go on a bit myself!) but the font worked great for me. My eyesight sucks!!! lol
    "What a drag it is getting old" - M. Jagger

12. I don't put a heck of a lot of power to my GS112 (150 pure Mesa watts), but it sounds like the voice of god anyway! I can't wait 'till I can add the second cab.

While I'm sure more clean power is a plus, one of the nice things about the GS112 is that you don't have to pump tons of juice to it to make it sound great.

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hi, put a bunch of power at least 300w and they are sweet. That said I may be selling mine. About 2 hours of use. Mint with padded Aguilar cover. Also selling SWR Goliath Jr. III. Mint with Tuki cover. Too many cabinets.
    The Ag is great with many basses and I like it with the KYDD upright. Sounds like and old upright. Previous threads showed that many people seemed to like SWR heads on them.

14. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Chadds, You have a PM!

15. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    In accord with the acoustic suggestions previously, may sound stupid but make sure it's on the floor if not already. Since they're fairly small and light it would be easy to just plunk it on a table, another cab, whatever. The only way I can see for that cab to be thin would be acoustics - or if it's not working properly!

I run a mine thru a QSC. Sounds good even at low volumes. The first one I heard was at a dudes house that has played bass for 30 years and gone through the gear gammet. He had a Lakland, Pedullae, Stingray, Fender Jazz, and several other basses in the room beside a pair of GS 112s he had fairly recently picked. Said his days of searching for a cab were over. They sounded good to me so I bought one of my own.

I've run basses loaded with Barts, EMGs, Aggies, Duncans, even a LightWave through mine. No complaints. In comparison with homebuilt cabs loaded with 15" Altecs, JBLs, Klipsch, Celestions (among others), the GS 112 holds it's own and in fact sounded better than pretty much everything but an Altec 421-8LF (which sounded like the Aggie only clearer).

The only gripes I have about the cab is that it's 8 ohms and the "horn" sucks - another handle would have been a plus.

16. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Jerry, I use to use an swr bass 350 (into 4ohms) into two gs112s, now I have a stewart 1.2 (1200 into 4, or 700 into 8) I admit that 1200 sounds better than 350 and I also tried a bryston 2b home amp (150 into 8ohms) and that sounded barely passable for me, but if I were you I'd try to get at least as much power into them as they can handle (300w for one, 600watts for two gs112s)

after getting my stewart I ran 700w into one gs112 and it sounded almost as big as TWO gs112s running on the 350w swr amp!!!

experiment, borrow amps do what you have to do, ITS A GREAT CAB!!!!!!!! <HUGS GS112s>

17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I run a single GS112 with a Behringer BX3000T (Ashdown MAG300 clone). It's rated at 300W @ 4 ohms, but not sure how much juice it offers at 8 ohms. I play a Modulus Quantum 5 with EMG's and an F Bass BN5 thru it and it sounds KILLER.

I would highly suggest trying a different amp to determine if perhaps it is the contributing factor to the poor tone you described.

I also have used my Ashdown ABM500 EVO through the single GS112 (575W @4 ohms) and it also sounds fantastic. I'd love to try a second GS112, but where two would do the job, I'll just use my Bergantino HT322. The wheels let me roll my rack and a gig bag in. So the weight is relaly only an issue getting in and out of my SUV.

18. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

I would never have thought a GS112 would take 700 watts without scattering all over the planet. You must get this stuff free.

19. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I run two GS112's with my Ashdown RPM-1 preamp and a bridged QSC PLX1602 (1600W) and they sound really good. They have no problems handling that much power, though I only need to turn my amp up 1/4 way, because beyond that point I am way too loud (mmmmmm bass)

The tone works well with my quirky rock band, my funk band, and my electronica band, though the Ashdown contributes a lot to it (they also sounded good with the SWR SM500 amp I used to have)

I tend to like the sound of 2 GS112's better than 1.
    I would bet that GK may not match well with Aguilar cabs.

But good tone is always subjective...i.e. I have never liked the tone from any of the Eden cabs I have tried.

Some head/bass/cabinet options sound really good, some don't. I even tried and Aguilar DB659 preamp through the GS112s and I didn't like the tone (too wooly).

I do wish that the Aguilar GS112 cabinets had 2 handles, neither of which being the spring loaded ones like what they currently use (I get some vibration from the handles at very low loud notes.

20. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I have a GS112 and Mesa Powerhouse 1x15. Together, talk about a thick, deep tone. I'm considering selling the 1x15 sometime soon and getting another 1x12, but might save up some and get a full 2x12 Aggy, for a 3x12 total. We'll see. But I think it's more an amp issue than anything. Mesa's known (like Aguilar amps) for clean, high power. My amp sounds just perfect through my setup. It has like NO amp coloration, and can get way too loud for anyone without sounding harsh or overdriven. And that's how I like it. The GS112 is very portable and compact, and when I had my Camaro it was great. I'd love to get a 2 GS212 setup now that I have a truck. But I'd suggest feeding it more power or getting a different amp before tossing it first. Aguilar recommends it's DB750 with a pair of 'em, which is 375 watts to each 8 ohm cab. But some people just may not like them. I donno. My ex-Spector sounded GREAT through it, while my Lakland (up for trade, btw) sounds actually kinda "meh" through it.