Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Ahhnold

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Marcus Johnson, May 16, 2002.

1. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Just a wannabe luthier question for Mr. Schnitzer or anyone else who knows. There's a Jakstadt bass in the classifieds in which you installed a CF bar while replacing the fingerboard; I know you regularly do this in new basses. Can you describe what the difference is, before/after fashion? I know you did some other setup on this bass; I'd be interested in how the CF affects things, just by itself.

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Usually I use the carbon fiber rod to stiffen a neck that is "mushy", or when I'm going to thin out a neck and want to retain stiffness. In my new basses I use it because I think it might help the bass to respond quicker, as the stiffness in the neck helps pass the vibration down to the soundbox where it will do the most good. Also, it helps prevent neck breaks when the bass is dropped. And they all get dropped...it's only a matter of time.

3. ... I have two basses with "Schnitzered" necks, and they're a joy. Importantly, you're not at all aware of any modification; they just feel great.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    "...and they all get dropped. It's only a matter of time..."
    Ain't it the truth. That's something I don't ever want to see....again:(