Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for all luthiers regarding special orders

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tedintheshed, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I play an Acacia Custom 4 string. Unfortuantely Matt Friedman, the luthier that made this, is no longer in business so I can not get another made to my specs. If given this bass, is it possible to replicate it with the exception of a few changes? (For example, instead of the maple top I want a burled buckeye top)

Thank you,

Ted

2. Ted, please feel free to contact any luthiers of your choice by PM or email. You can gleen some names from this forum if you like.

For any luthier to discuss taking on this project for you would violate the forums anti-spam rules and is forbidden. Down here in "Luthiers" they've learned that and usually don't participate. Up in "Basses" the regular contributors have somewhat of a problem following the rules so you see more commercial type posts up there. Sorry for the inconvenience.

This discussion can continue as long as it stays on the general topic of replicating another builders work and the problems associated therewith.

Thanx

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Just for fun can you post a pic of the bass?......t

4. I'm not a luthier, but I'm somewhat familiar with Acacias. One question that probably anyone considering such a project would want to know is, how closely do you want it replicated? What features about the Acacia do you want to be sure are included? I'm thinking of things like the arched body and headstock, the basic shape, etc. It's probably safe to say that most luthiers would like to include a bit of their own "stamp" on a project, but they'd also want to be sure and capture those elements that you consider essential.

Mike

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hambone,

I apologize- I didn't realize this. It is no inconveinece to follow the house rules and I don't wish to get anyone in trouble. I am not really shopping for a luthier to do this immediately, I am just wanting to know if duplating this is possible

For the curious, here are the pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do want features such as the arched body and carved thumbrests duplicated. The arched headstock is not an issue, but over all, details like the matching control cavity plate and certainly the neck width and shape must be dead bang on. Overall, for the woodwork I want this exact bass only with a buckeye burl front and back. This would include replicating the 9 peice laminate wenge neck and mahogony body core.

As far as "signature" items, I am opened to suggestions.

Perhaps replicating the bass will not be possible, but I don't know of any other bass with this feel and tone.

Thanks,
    Ted

6. No apology necessary. All's cool. The rule has some vagueness to it so I like to clarify it occasionally.

BTW, cool instrument :cool:

7. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I agree. Very nice

8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thank you.

The neck is of particular concern to me- is is a bit smaller than a jazz, but the profile is flatter.

Ted