1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question For All Of You Vintage Fender Gurus!! (With Pictures)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassSurfer, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Hey everyone!

I have an opportunity to trade my EBMM Sterling (current listed in the classifieds) plus cash for this 1976?, pre? Fender P Bass..

This is NOT a thread in which I will ask SHOULD I do it or not, but rather just to clarify some misconceptions I have. I will post the question anyway! :bag:

The seller informed me that this bass is a 1976 (or before) Fender P Bass that has obviously been modified with EMG pickups amongst other things. This is not something I would do but I think it is worth a shot considering the seller's asking price.

Now my questions are:

Is this a TRUE Fender? There is no serial number (atleast what he told me) He is just judging its year based on the neck and the body itself. I need to ask him again if he checked the original pots and underneath the neck..But maybe someone else here who knows a thing or two on vintage Fenders can give me some input on its age, or give an estimate.

The seller is actually a very reputable person who is actually pretty famous in the NYC area. I trust everything he is telling me, but I just wanted to verify some facts on here as well.

And last but not least, would you conduct this trade if you were in my position? I just switched back to Ampeg from the excellent combination of GK/EBMM.... I love the sound of a vintage P with Ampeg! I know I just answered my own question, but I would just like to here your own opinions!

Now, the pictures!!

file_4.

file_5.

file_6.

file_7.

file_8.

file_9.

2. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I have a couple of comments and 1 question. Why is there no serial number on the neck plate? This will not sound like a vintage P with those EMG pickups in it. For a bass this modified, I hope you are getting a good deal. Good Luck.

3. It is actually a very good deal (I am not listing the ad/price in respect to the seller and his listing) and I would probably find some more "appropriate" pickups for it on Ebay or on TB if they show up... I think the original neck-plate was lost or damaged during time time the initial finish was removed. Nothing is official yet though!

4. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    The headstock logo looks wrong.

5. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    76 would have the SN on the headstock FYI.

This bass has a decal that is not right for any Precision bass.
    The first thing that jumped out at me was the presence of the offset contour body logo which belongs on a Jazz bass.

The tuners bridge and neck plate are all wrong as well, me thinks this is no Fender at all.

6. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    FWIW.
    The most I'd pay for that bass is around 150-200 tops, that's what it's worth as parts.

7. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Fender switched to Serial # on the headstock sometime in 76. And early 76 or previous year would have it on the neckplate, but the logo is wrong for an early-mid 70s. Here's a 75

[​IMG]

and the one you're considering

file_6.

8. The more and more I look at it, the more and more I am thinking what you guys are thinking. Does anyone have any idea what this is then? Is it just a "put together bass" that someone literally beat to hell by removing the finish and or aging? Or is it something from the 80s with a weird decal/parts? Very confused here which means I will NOT be doing this deal... Would still like to know what this is though!

9. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    Would be interesting to remove the neck and look at the heel.

10. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    The body and neck may be 70s Fender, but hacked and stripped with a mess for a logo. Looks like parts of several decals. he needs to remove the neck and show the date stamp and other markings. Neck plate should also have the plastic backer.
    I don't think the pick guard is original either, should be drilled for thumbrest plus a hole near the middle. If those holes are there, I don't see them.
    Better pics would help.

11. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    +1.

The headstock logo/bridge/neckplate (and maybe the tuners) are not original and if that alder body is original then it's not a '76 one.

12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Wouldn't touch that with a stick. And generally, I love old project Fenders. That one just has too much wrong with it. But maybe go play it if you can, and if it sings to you more than your other bass, snatch it up.