Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for all TI jazz flat users

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Was your E overly zingy when you first put 'em on?

Right now I've got my P-bass strung up with these and I absolutely love them. My bass finally sounds something like the bass in my head. One prob though, the E is too zingy and really sticks out like a sore thumb against the other smooth sounding strings. It's also lacking low end, it's very very close to the A low end wise.

I'm wondering if maybe the string was designed like that and will eventually dull down and fatten up. I'm also wondering if Steve at Dudepit.com has a bad batch of E strings as this current one is a replacement I got from him. The E that came with the set completely lacked low end and was a twang monster.

I have about a $100 to my name (I just quit my job too cuz I was about to fail school) and want to know before I plop down any of my meager savings to buy a whole other set. :confused:

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I would try another E from Steve. he's a pretty reasonable guy and will likely help you out. I've never had a twangy E. Are you hearing the twang acoustically, when amplified or both?

3. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Both for sure. Every pluck (I play very softly) creates a harsh little zing. The other strings are as smooth as butter. It's killing me.

I know Steve would probably help me out, but he's been kind enough already and I don't want to take anymore money away from him.

EDIT: You saying you've never had a zingy E pretty much answers my question. I'll guess I'll order a set tomorrow. Does anybody have a single they'd be willing to sell me?

4. The Dude takes care of his customers... so contact him. I still am running the original set of TI Flats I got from him about 3 years back.

I find them very evenly balanced. I don't get the massive bottom and thump that I want from a P-bass, so I think the TI are going to be replaced by Labella Deep Talkin' flats. That aside, the TI are fabulous strings and worth the money. They last forever.

5. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I've never had this problem, but someone else on this forum recently posted about the same problem and got it resolved. Might do a search.

I have two basses strung with TI's and they are all nice and even sounding.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You are asking the wrong place for sure. Talk to Dude and I bet he'll fix you up. One of the best things about dealing with Dude is that he makes sure that his customers are happy.

7. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Just go to the Dude Pit, then to the Thomastik Forum and "ping Thomguy. He'll ship you a new string.

8. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Problem solved guys. I was really apprehensive about asking Steve for a second replacement and offered him $10 for an E. Steve wouldn't accept it and is sending me one tomorrow. I know where I'm buying my strings from now on!!!! :bassist:

9. Try lowering the pickup on the E string side just a little, it might be to high and your getting to much from the string itself...........

;) Treena

10. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi,

Is there a website for Dudepit.com?

All I get is a 404 Not Found - is it just www.dudepit.com ?

11. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Okey dokey.

12. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark