Question for all tube amp owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by reasonbass, Jul 1, 2004.

1. When you play live, do you prefer to plug direct therefore bypassing the power amp. or miking the the cab? I ask because when you go direct your missing some of the power tube goodness. But if you mike the cab and your cab has a tweeter-woofer, your gonna miss the highs from the tweeter because of the x-over. So other than getting a tweeterless cab a la bergie NV6-10, or an Ampeg SVT 8x10. Which one do you prefer?
  2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Mike the cab - best way to get "my sound" to the board. Sometimes I use the direct out, or even send through my sadowsky di or tech 21 bddi. BUT I prefer to mike it.
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Some amps have a slave out which takes a line from the power amp section and sends it out as a line level, which is what I use if I get the chance. If not, I'm ok with either micing or DI; I never use horns, so no worries about that.
  4. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Like Benjamin said, I believe that some tube amps take the DI from the power amp out (Ampeg V4BH for example).
  5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    If you are plugging into a system at a club, you generally have to go by what the soundguy wants anyways-many times, it is their own direct box.

Getting your tube tone would be more of a priority in the studio (IMO).
  6. I have a Mesa 400+, you think mine does that? Benjamin?
  7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I'm not Benjamin, but I just looked up the 400+ manual...

It states that the DI comes from the same signal as the speaker jack (which is from the output), so I would think this means that you get your full tube tone.

400+ Manual
  8. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I prefer a mic. Most sound guys that I have worked with prefer mics. But I have used boxes as well.

I don't have tweets, so the mics always work great! A good mic, that is.
  9. Thank You Sir!
  10. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Cool man! Nice amp you have there...
  11. i prefer it miked and NO tweeters and together with direct signal to mix in some more bottom. or together with a lined solid-state amp.