Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for all tube amp owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by reasonbass, Jul 1, 2004.

1. When you play live, do you prefer to plug direct therefore bypassing the power amp. or miking the the cab? I ask because when you go direct your missing some of the power tube goodness. But if you mike the cab and your cab has a tweeter-woofer, your gonna miss the highs from the tweeter because of the x-over. So other than getting a tweeterless cab a la bergie NV6-10, or an Ampeg SVT 8x10. Which one do you prefer?

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Mike the cab - best way to get "my sound" to the board. Sometimes I use the direct out, or even send through my sadowsky di or tech 21 bddi. BUT I prefer to mike it.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Some amps have a slave out which takes a line from the power amp section and sends it out as a line level, which is what I use if I get the chance. If not, I'm ok with either micing or DI; I never use horns, so no worries about that.

4. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Like Benjamin said, I believe that some tube amps take the DI from the power amp out (Ampeg V4BH for example).

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    If you are plugging into a system at a club, you generally have to go by what the soundguy wants anyways-many times, it is their own direct box.

Getting your tube tone would be more of a priority in the studio (IMO).

6. I have a Mesa 400+, you think mine does that? Benjamin?

7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I'm not Benjamin, but I just looked up the 400+ manual...

It states that the DI comes from the same signal as the speaker jack (which is from the output), so I would think this means that you get your full tube tone.

400+ Manual

8. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I prefer a mic. Most sound guys that I have worked with prefer mics. But I have used boxes as well.

I don't have tweets, so the mics always work great! A good mic, that is.

9. Thank You Sir!

10. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Cool man! Nice amp you have there...

11. i prefer it miked and NO tweeters and together with direct signal to mix in some more bottom. or together with a lined solid-state amp.