Question for all Warmoth neck owners...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vlad335, Jun 6, 2003.

1. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Question for all Warmoth neck owners...

Notice Any Dead Spots? I have a MIM P-bass that is driving me crazy! Dead spots everywhere. Added new electronics which have a great sound but tended to make the dead spots move. Now the "A" note on the E string is dead and thats the final straw.

I read through the Warmoth site and they claim to eliminate dead spots with their neck design. How do they do in this regard? I know they are heavier but I don't care if this would be fixed.

I am seriously thinking about getting one of their Jazz necks with block inlays. Love the look! Moneys tight right now but I just sold some gear so I can swing it.

Question inspired by Mesa Man's thread but I didn't want to hijack it with my own question. Also, I did searches but didn't find a definitive answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've had excellent experiences with Warmoth necks. I had a Maple/pau ferro that had maybe a little dead spot on the D string at the 10th fret, but everything else I've had from them has been superb.

Might be luck of the draw, but I chalk it up to those big old steel rods in the neck.
  3. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Sounds good. I think I'll give Warmoth a call on Monday. Just about any neck would probally be an improvement over what I have now...

Plus I am absolutely entranced by those block inlays.:cool: Will post pics when I get the neck and get it put together.
  4. So how did it work out? No dead spots?
  5. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Actually I didn't order it.

I found a Warwick Corvette with all Wenge neck for $550. No dead spots on this bass and it sounds phenominal.
  6. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    About how heavy are those necks? I have a bad back, and I heard that they're a bit heavier than the original neck.
  7. Yep, they're heavier than stock. The double-action truss rod weighs more, the two steel reinforcing bars add weight, and I decided to get one made of wenge, which is pretty heavy. I am hoping that by saving 1/2 lb. with Hipshot Ultralite tuners I will avoid neck dive.
  8. bollefen

Mar 13, 2003
    i think many people underestimate the strings impact on the the "whole bass" experience.

strings with a loose wind in a spot will be dead, and if multi wound which many bass strings are it will be hard to tell.

if it is consistent over multiple strings sets then you have your answer, maybe.

different types / tensions of strings will have an impact as well.

9. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have an all-wenge Warmoth neck on a 5lbs alder body with quilted maple cap. I installed Hipshot Ultralights too, and there's no neck dive at all - really good balance. Mind you, I am using 3 1/2" Levi strap.
  10. A while back I replaced my P bass neck with a Warmoth fretless. It didn't improve the deadspots at all over the original neck.
  11. Got my neck today, sent it back today. Beautiful wood, but there was a crack in the back of the headstock starting from just under the E string tuner hole and running all the way to the end that went halfway through the headstock.