Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question for all you accugroove users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Nov 14, 2004.

1. what kind of pre/power amp do you guys run into these cabs? ive heard nothing prasie for accugrooves stuff but i cant help but wonder how consistent the good tone is across the infinite head (or pre/power) choices out there.

my dream rig would be the bill dickens stack (2x12 and 2x12 sub) pushed by either an eden head or a SWR mini mo with the swr 750dx power amp.

2. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I'm running my Accugroove El Whappo and Whappo Grande through a Millenia Origin STT-1 and a Stewart World 2.1 - sounds divine.

I've also run it through a Demeter HBP-1 and a Alembic F1-X as well - those sounded good too, but nothing can beat the Millenia.

3. hey bro, thanks for the response, i love your bass work (and your basses!). have you found any cabs that compare to the whappo grande as far as handling the low f# (assuming you use an f# on your nines)? i am definitely interested in trying out and possibly buying a custom 8 or 9 string in the next few years and have wondered a good deal about what it would take to do a bass like that justice. i know the frequency response has a lot to do with it, but have you found any other factors in cab design that really affect it a good bit?

anyways, rock on man! :bassist:

4. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I use an Eden WT-800 bridged mono into my AccuGroove Tri-112L.
    The sound is absolutely fantastic. I haven't done bigger gigs with it, though; I use it as a stage amp and DI into the house PA. (using a DIY XLR cable. YMMV, BBQ.)

5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I run my el whappo and tri110, tri112 with a demeter HBP-1, and a crest VS650. Sounds great! Sometimes I wish I had more power, but thats not the cabs fault, I definitely wouldn't call the Accugrooves inefficient, by any standard.

I've also heard the cabs run with glock heads, aguilar, ashdown, merlin, jean's sick millenia/stewart setup, both demeter pre's, thunderfunk, merlin, and WW. The cool thing is that they really allow the character of both basses and amps to speak clearly, because they're so accurate and impartial. Every amp sounded the most like itself (does that make sense, probably not), that is, conveyed it's own sound the best.

p.s. with a monster like bills stack, I'd reccomend a high powered PA style amp with high wattage, like a qsc plx 3002 or 2402, or a stewart 2.1. You'd probably be alright with a eden wt-800 or a comparable wattage swr head, but to eek out all the potential of those cabs, the more watts the
    better.

cheers,

Jake
    www.jakewolfmusic.com

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I run either or both my Whappo, Jr. and/or Tri 210L with either my iAMP 800 or my rack rig (Eden Navigator/PLX 3002). I recently picked up a CA9, but haven't given it a whirl yet. Either rig is plenty loud. With the Tri 210L set to 4 ohm, the iAMP 800 puts out 1,000w into a 2 ohm load, and there is no lack of volume or headroom. Of course, too much power is never enough, so rack rigs with Accugroove cabs are fun, too!

I should have a Tri 110 in my hands fairly soon, and can report on it once it comes in and I have a chance to play around with it a bit.

Tom.

7. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    I'm running a Read pre through a QSC PLX2402 into the Whappo, Jr. and it sounds fantastic.

8. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Thanks for the compliments, Defeldus!

I haven't A/B'd any subs but the Accugroove Cabinets were the first to give me a nice, clear F#. I was using a Mesa set up before and it made that low note boomy and indistinct (even with the bass turned down) - with the Accugrooves it's almost bell-like.

FYI - The El Whappo alone gives a nice low F# - though, coupled with the whappo grande gives you the ability to make the ground rumble.

I've played through both of the Dickens cabs and Jake's right, you'll need a little extra power to get those things kicking.