1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for all you G&L addicts

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by WyattUrp, Jun 5, 2007.

1. WyattUrp

WyattUrp

Dec 16, 2005
    Warwick,RI
    Maybe I am crazy but how many of you guys own a L-2000 and an ASAT. Is there any tone diffrence or am I just wasting money? I think there is enough difference, what do you guys think? Thanks for the replies

2. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    The pickups and the preamp are the same. The only real differences between the basses is the body shape. I don't know how much difference that makes. I think it's really just a matter of which body style you prefer. It might be that those who own both are just G&L collectors.

3. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    No more difference in an L-2000 vs an ASAT than there is in any L-2000 vs any other L-2000. Just like 4strngbliss said, pickups and preamp are identical. The ASATs however, are way cooler than most anything else going:cool:

4. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    The tele style body is pretty cool, but I've heard they suffer from neck dive because of the lack of an upper horn.

5. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    I don't have problem with neck dive as much as the way it "hangs", making the reach to first position a longer way out there. (hope that make sense):confused: But it's really no worse than some of the 35" scale basses I've played. YMMV:bassist:

6. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I have both. I prefer the neck on the ASAT. No neck dive for me, but coop does have a point about the reach. However, I tend to have my basses in a more "upright" playing position than most players so I may not be bothered by it like some people. (stupid classical training!)

Sound wise, they are the same. Bottom line--money spent on another G&L is rarely "wasted" as you put it. ;)

7. WyattUrp

WyattUrp

Dec 16, 2005
    Warwick,RI
    I didn't mean wasted to come across that negative my apologies, I was trying to see how many of you guys own both, do you string both of them up the same way or different (flats on one, rounds on another or different brands)?
    Thanks for the replies guys I think I will be adding an ASAT soon

8. Doesn't the ASAT come with a jazzier neck, while the L2k has a more P-ish neck stock?

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The semi-hollow ASAT probably sounds a little different, but if I recall most folks say it sounds close to the solid ASAT, with less "air" than most semi-hollows. I don't know; I've never compared. But that would be one way to justify the purchase. Not that anyone around here would seek gear purchase enabling advice from fellow GAS-aholics or anything. ;)

10. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I string all mine up with DR Low-Riders right now. I've only tried flats on my SB-2 but the neck didn't like it (too much string tension).

ASAT has the 1-1/2" nut but it is a fatter profile than my SB-2, which is more of a true Jazz-type. The L-2000 has the P-style fat neck. I like all of them a lot, but the SB-2 still feels the most natural to me. The ASAT is a close second though. I will still take any of them to most other necks on the market. They have that feel.

11. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

As default, yes. You can order 4 different neck sizes on US G&L 4 stringers though. I have an ASAT neck on my L2000.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021