Question for all you Spector freaks.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hi guys. I'm not really familiar with Spectors but from what I've read so far in this board, they're of exceptional value. I play all kinds of rock music..rock n roll, punk, alternative, grunge, etc. and I like to have a deep and thumpy tone. I was wondering between the Spector NS2000/4 and Spector Rex4, which is the more suitable.

Secondly, what are the B strings like for the Rex5 and the NS2000/5?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Cheers guys.
  2. Hey dude, Spectors are awesome. I love my Rex 5 string, and honestly think it is by far the best bass available for the money. The EMG-HZ pickups give a really bright, clear sound, which I like for any type of music. Also, the preamp allows you to dial in many different tones, if you are really picky.
    As far as the B string goes, they are very tight because of the 35 inch scale, and sound very focused. I like the B string on my Rex better than many on basses that are far more expensive.
    As far as the Rex vs. the normal NS2000, the only real difference is in the looks. They play very similarily and have the same pickups. However, they are only the same if you get one of the neck through NS2000s that they have just recently stopped producing but are still in a lot of stores and on ebay. The new NS2000Qs are bolt on instead of neck through, which I think makes the Rex (which is neck through) worth the extra cash. But either way, you'll be getting a great bass if you buy a Spector.
  3. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I really don't associate Spectors with deep and thumpy, but more bright and aggressive... But hey, anything's possible with lots of EQ. ;)
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Being a big Spector fan, and an owner of an NS-4 for 8 years, I'd pretty much have to agree.

That said, I can still get a fat, warm, round tone out of the bass by modifying my technique. Even so, that's not what the Spector's strong point is.
  5. isn't the pickup positioning slightly different?
    the bridge p/up on the NS2000 looks closer to the bridge.
    also there's the issue of balance on a strap- the NS2000 having an upper horn, the Rex having none.
  6. Yeah, I just noticed that. The bridge pickup does look a little closer to the bridge. And the balance issue is a good point. I don't notice it because the strap buttons were moved on mine, which fixes the problem, but there's probably a lot of neck dive on normal ones. But as far as sound and playability go, both basses are very similar.
  7. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Thanks for the responses, guys.