Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Ampeg B-100R users...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rayzak, Sep 25, 2001.

1. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    How do you set your eq? I like a deep, warm sound. Do you use the 'Ultra' low, mid, and high buttons? Also, the manual says to set the gain so the signal light is on and the peak light flashes when you play. I can have the gain all the way up and get barely a wink from the peak light. I am using a MIM Standard Jazz, and yes, i'm plugging it into the correct input. I'm actually asking this before i've had a chance to play around with it much, i'm just curious what settings you guys like. Thanks.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    With your bass you should be plugging into the left jack (0dB). I actually plug all of my basses, passive or active into that same one, unless I'm using one with too hot of an output. If it sounds bad... move it;)

I don't use the voicing switches. I set the Gain to ~6, the 4 tone controls 5-3-3-5 and bring the Master up to get my volume. I'll bring the Gain up afterwards if I need it louder.

That's it. Works well for me with Fender Jazzes, Laklands, Zon fretless, L200E, Surine 7 and more... all with this basic setting. Plug and play.

It's a great amp.

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks Brad, I just brought this bad boy home tonight and can't seem to tear myself away from it. It's got such a different tone than my little Peavey amp and a lot more balls. I guess it just took me a while to realize what good tone sounds like.

4. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    Usually, I set the tone controls at 12 o'clock and punch the 'Ultra-Low' button. I adjust the gain and volume controls according to the room I'm in. And if I need to change the tone, I find that the tone control on my P-Bass works well.

5. I want to know if the serial numbers on my brand new looking Ampeg B-100R can tell me what year it is? Where it was made? I just got it from CL. I'm new on this site and would like to know where and how to ask questions. Anybody?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups