Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Ampeg cab owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by knight, Dec 4, 2002.

1. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Hi all, I got me a SVT 410 HE, it comes with casters, but they are not installed in the sockets. How do you do that? It says that a MALLET may be required to ensure a good fit in the socket, but I don't know if I can bring myself to do that! Besides, does that entail taking the socket off, putting in the caster, and hammering away on the outside of the socket? any thoughts?

2. all the casters i've ever had just pop into the holes. then they pull right back out again.

3. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    yah, mine pop right in but then they fall off, because they're so loose! so anytime I have to pick the thing up the casters remain on the ground, and I have to put them back in... any suggestions?

4. dunno, sounds like you got some cheap ass casters. Even with my old Ampeg cabs, the casters popped right in. Are you pushing them in far enough so that they "snap" in? Never heard of using a mallet :)

5. yup my 115's casters just pop in, their a lil tough to get in and out, so yeah a mallet may be needed.

*Si*

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Just had to do this with some furniture.... get a small (but thick) dowell and place it behind the whell. Now, whack it with a mallet. Don't hit the wheel though...

My SVT410-HEN's casters are loose, but they stay in, and pop out kinda easily. Is hitting them really neccasary(sp?):confused:

7. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Most caster shafts I've seen have something resembling a split lockwasher on them. I've had good luck restoring caster grip in various cabinets by slightly increasing the size of the "split," gently using a screwdriver. Doesn't always restore them back to "new," but usually enables them to stay in the cab when the cab is lifted. Good luck!

8. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    The problem is that they just won't stay in, the fit is that loose... I will do as you say, LowRanger, and try to work on that washer thingie... hopefully that will do it. Thanks all for your suggestions!

9. I have the same cab..mine are lose but stay in due to that ring. I still hate that anytime I lift it a couple hang lower and don't pop in...leaves the cab off balance if you don't catch it and I've seen cabs fall over on stage from that.

10. I kept widening the gap and eventually replacing the castors on my Ampegs. Now I wrap one thickness of duct tape around the shafts and never have a problem.

11. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Thanks for all your help people. I tried the "widen-the-washer" trick and it worked. But I did think of putting some extra material in there to keep the things in place. Duct tape seems a good idea, lonote, I'll try that..
    peace